what to do for a cam

quatrini

Anyone here ever swap their cam? If so, which one, where did you get it and how was the performance under boost? Looking to get a cam from super six motor sports, but I'm not sure if its well worth the money.

Dave Dalke, aka XR7Dave, can help you with any of you needs. There's no need to go anywhere else for anything Supercoupe related.

Yes cams are very much worth the money. Your question about performance is subjective and not specific enough. I am really happy with the cam I have from Super Six 218/224. But it may not be the right combination for your setup. You will also need to have it tuned afterwards.

okay here's some background this setup is going to be for a mustang that is driven on weekends and on the track only. I'm swapping a 89-93 blower set up over, running wiseco pistons, a 10% over drive jackshaft pulley and a 5% overdrive supercharger pulley.
Just looking for advice on where to get a cam. I have ported heads and the seats were ground to fit my valve springs. Only other thing I need is 1.7 rocker arms.
I will also be running a much larger intercooler.

I also have Shorty headers, an pypes true dual off road exhust, an 8.8 trac lok with 4.10s, and 315/35/17 tires. Depending on the power/ torque I make I may swap to 3.55 gears.
I am a professional mechanic and I love to build engines and rears on my free time.

For an application like that I generally spec a custom grind, 210/220 @.050 and .490" lift. Comp cams shelf grinds aren't too bad either but they tend to have too much lobe separation. They do that in an effort I think to make tuning easier.

In your case I assume you are going to run at least 42lb injectors and have the ability or resources for tuning.

I ran a 210/218 comp cam and it made great power. I'd opt for a custom cam from super coupes unltd. Those guys are always advancing in technology for these motors:cool:

I was hoping to run 36# injectors. Do you think I'll max them out?
And thanks guys alot for all the input!
Tuning will be professional Dyno tune at either tillman speed, or evolution performance. Both tune mustangs everyday and are within walking distance from my house. This build has just started, I don't expect to have the motor finished until march 2014. I can only spend so much each month but also I figure, why rush it.I 'm going to do this right.

If it was me I'd go to 60s. In that if leaves open the option for head and intake work, S-port/MPX blower and/or E-85.

I was hoping to run 36# injectors. Do you think I'll max them out?
And thanks guys alot for all the input!
Tuning will be professional Dyno tune at either tillman speed, or evolution performance. Both tune mustangs everyday and are within walking distance from my house. This build has just started, I don't expect to have the motor finished until march 2014. I can only spend so much each month but also I figure, why rush it.I 'm going to do this right.

With 15% OD you need at least 42lb injectors minimum.

Back