Headlight problem

archerman0531

I have a 90 xr7 with autodim option and im having this problem with the headlights. I manually turn the headlights on, they stay on but sometimes all the lights(dash and headlights) flicker and shut off then come back on an flicker some more and SOMETIMES come back on without doing anything....if they don't come back on I push the headlight switch back in and pull it back out and they work for a little bit and start flickering and shutting off again. It seems like an intermittent problem. I can hear relays clicking on an off, one a passenger side, and one sounds like the middle of the dash? There is no set length of time before it does this.
My question is does anyone know what is causing this. I replaced the MFS with a correct one because of the auto dim option. I'm thinking either the headlight switch or auto dim switch, but I'm not totally sure.
If you need to know more info, just ask.

Thanks for any input.

It could have something to do with the headlight switch ... They do sometimes overheat, especially if you use the fog lights a lot. So I would check that. But the first thing I would check is the ignition switch. They fail very often, almost inevitably, by the two parts of the switch coming apart.

You can see the switch by removing the 2 parts of the column cover. If it proves to be bad, you can remove it without any other pieces coming off, but there's a trick to it. You need a T27 security bit and turn it with a 1/4" wrench. The other of the 2 screws is easy to reach.

Be careful and disconnect the battery before messing with the switch, as there are high-amp always-hot wires through there.

Ok, thanks. I already bought an ignition switch, just haven't installed it yet. One day I went out to leave for work and opened the door and heard music...the radio was on but there was no key in the ignition...lol. So i figured it was the ignition switch, I guess I'll install that tomorrow.

Two more possibilities, besides the ignition switch, are the headlight switch (that one with the knob to the left of the steering column) and the multi function switch (since the headlights feed through THAT also.)

Both are available in multiple versions, so it would be a good idea to pull them long enough to get the full part number off of them (including the -AA -AB -BA -whatever suffixes, which is where you find them different.)

After that, I'd highly, Highly, HIGHLY recommend a competent relay harness to get that current off the light switches!

RwP

Two more possibilities, besides the ignition switch, are the headlight switch (that one with the knob to the left of the steering column)
I thought it might be the auto dimswitch(s) because when the lights would flicker I could mess with the rotary switch and it would make it flicker faster or shut them off or sometimes turn them on for a little bit.

the multi function switch (since the headlights feed through THAT also.)
I did replace the MFS with the correct one...and it has been working fine for 3 months.

Both are available in multiple versions, so it would be a good idea to pull them long enough to get the full part number off of them (including the -AA -AB -BA -whatever suffixes, which is where you find them different.)

After that, I'd highly, Highly, HIGHLY recommend a competent relay harness to get that current off the light switches!
I would have to walked thru this.....i can do about anything, but I hate electrical!!! I can do some, but it's not my favorite thing!

RwP[/QUOTE]

So, got the new ignition switch installed, and still have the headlights flickering on and off. I have a new headlight switch coming. But other than that I'm not sure what else it could be.

When the lights go off and come back on, right after they come back on I can hear something clicking(almost like something gettin hot) where the headlight pull switch is and the auto light switch .

When the auto headlights are on and shut off then start to come back on there is almost a buzzing sound right before they come back on. Sound sounds like it is coming from passenger side up under the good.

When the manual headlight switch is on, it just clicks on and off, no other sounds.

Definitely check out the headlight switch, then. The switches and harnesses have been known to melt because of too much current (not designed robustly enough).

And to amplify S_Mazza, when you get the problem fixed, add a competent relay harness to get the current out of the switches inside, and into relays under the hood!

RwP

Ok, well I have the headlights switch on the way.

I am not sure how to run it thru a relay tho.

There are several writeups on it - it's not too hard.

I will be interested to see how the old switch looks. It's not a guarantee that it is causing the sound, but it seems likely.

It will be. Hopefully it is the problem. It sucks driving down the highway and your lights go out. Luckily the "flash to pass" works and doesn't seem to shut on and off when I have to hold it for a while.

So, picked up the switch from oriellys, it was wrong on there computer. The one I really need is $54 from them. I went to rock auto and found 1(airtex/wells Part # 1S4535) that says it IS for auto headlights. I ordered it for $30 shipped. So hopefully it will be here soon.
I got the old switch out and it doesn't look bad at the terminals or anything, maybe inside is messed up tho.
I'll post how the new switch works once I get it in.

Was there any white or black powder/dust on the bezel right below the switch when you looked at it?

Some darker dust/dirt is all it looked like. I drilled the rivets out an took the top off the switch. Some of the terminals looked like they had been sparking alot and were quite dark on. But, or might just be because it's a 23 year old car too.

Photos?

Some debris would be normal, of course, but if the contacts have suffered, that could explain your issue, I think.

Some darker dust/dirt is all it looked like. I drilled the rivets out an took the top off the switch. Some of the terminals looked like they had been sparking alot and were quite dark on. But, or might just be because it's a 23 year old car too.

Interesting. You could try cleaning them up with a contact file, refastening the switch body, and reinstalling it temporarily.

Back