PDA

View Full Version : Seafoam.. and white smoke in the engine bay

johnwartjr
08-14-2013, 10:55 AM
So, I have been working on the SC a bit lately. It's been pretty much parked since I went to the darkside (97 Volvo 850R wagon).

I decided I either need to drive the SC, or sell it, as I am not going to be responsible for this great vehicle decaying from lack of use.

Haven't decided whether to drive or sell it. Have days when I feel like I want to drive it, and days when I feel like I want to sell it to someone who is able/willing to give the car what it needs.

I have had a can of seafoam for the car on the shelf for awhile, so I did the 1/3rd in the fuel, 1/3rd in the oil, and 1/3rd in the intake.

I did the intake portion by using the bung on the intake where the vacuum line to the boost gauge runs. I used a 5 foot piece of vacuum line and hooked it up to the intake, and then put the end in a glass beaker and slowly pulled the seafoam in - like a kid sucking air through a straw to make noise and annoy other people - you get the idea :)

So, after it sat for 15 minutes or so, I fired the car up, and gave it a little goose on the throttle, and the white smoke started coming out of the exhaust.

When I let off the gas, white smoke started coming out of the drivers side of the engine bay.

Is this an indicator that I have an exhaust leak? Or is there something else I should concentrate on?

archerman0531
08-14-2013, 11:49 AM
I can't think of any reason why there would be smoke in the engine bay other than an exhaust leak...or possibly you might have spilt a little on the exhaust manifold and it is just burning off.

TbirdSCFan
08-14-2013, 12:01 PM
So, I have been working on the SC a bit lately. It's been pretty much parked since I went to the darkside (97 Volvo 850R wagon). Whew. I think I'd keep that to myself. :rolleyes:

TbirdSCFan
08-14-2013, 01:07 PM
When I let off the gas, white smoke started coming out of the drivers side of the engine bay.

Is this an indicator that I have an exhaust leak? Or is there something else I should concentrate on? You likely have a slight leak where the downtube connects to the exhaust manifold. You can try to tighten up the nuts a bit, but if it were me... unless I could hear the leak, I probably wouldn't mess with it. :) A slight leak on the exhaust side, isn't going to affect how it runs and won't affect your emmissions either. Now on the intake side of things, thats a different matter.