Adjusting the Seats

Rick_Leuce

I was wondering if there was any way to lower the seats in my 1991 SC. I'm 6'2" and my car has a sunroof, so I have to lean forward or tilt my head to keep from hitting the ceiling when I go over bumps.

If its possible, I'd like to lower the driver's seat close to an inch, or at least half an inch.

I'm also wondering if there's a way to adjust the seat to go further back like 1-2 inches, because my knee hits the steering wheel every time I let the clutch out.

Any tips or comments welcome.

Assuming the provided controls don't help, your choices would be to:
  • hack the seat runners/frame
  • and/or have an auto upholsterer shave the lower seat cushion
  • or find another seat with a lower overall posture.

I'd be tempted to look at an aftermarket racing seat, assuming you're willing to risk sacrificing a bit of comfort on long drives, perhaps.

Lowering the seat beyond the amount that the controls allow will require cutting and welding, as well as removing the HVAC vent that goes under the seat along the floor to provide enough clearance. Moving it further back is pretty easy though. If you pull the seat out, you will see at the back of the track there is a roll pin that stops the seat. Pull out that roll pin, move the seat back as far as it goes, then move it forward just slightly, drill a new hole, and re-install the roll pin just before the track bottoms out.

Hey, I'm not the only one! :D I've never hit my head on the ceiling, but have come close. As far as clearing the steering wheel, I've always driven mine with my clutch leg tilted to the left.

Lowering the seat beyond the amount that the controls allow will require cutting and welding, as well as removing the HVAC vent that goes under the seat along the floor to provide enough clearance. Moving it further back is pretty easy though. If you pull the seat out, you will see at the back of the track there is a roll pin that stops the seat. Pull out that roll pin, move the seat back as far as it goes, then move it forward just slightly, drill a new hole, and re-install the roll pin just before the track bottoms out.

Thanks, I'll try that out on the driver's seat real soon. I probably won't bother with height adjustment, being able to slide back an extra 2 inches would give me enough room to position myself so that my head isn't as close to the ceiling.

Back