Seat Tracks

90whtbrd

I took the PS seat out of the car to clean and lube the tracks. My question here is, should the assembly that rides inside track move back and forward so I can clean and lube the track itself. A dime with a nice little dent fell out while I was moving the whole assembly around, I hope that is the source of my seat not moving forward or backward. All other seat functions are fine.

The seat mechanism needs to be under power to move.

Hit it with WD-40 to clean it out, then with white silicone grease to lube, put it back in the car, get in and with the switch (fuse ok?) held to move it back, push against the floor/pedals and coax it gently so that it moves with the motor. Don't force it if it doesn't want to move. Grease it again, maybe.

Then, if needed, sit in the rear and coax it forward with the switch on - be gentle and patient.

In most cases, this process (and no more dimes) repeated once a year, will free things up for another 20 years :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the swift reply. When I searched I was reading about sanding and cleaning the track so I thought maybe the track separated from the drive some how. Guess I"ll have to break out the old tooth brushes and clean. As far as the fuse goes I think both seats are on the same one and the DS moves so I think I can rule that out. Thanks again for the swift reply.

I think gummed up seat tracks are common. Mine were when I got my SC five years ago, and I assumed the worst. In my case, tho, cleaning & lubing, with the seats still in the car, restored normal operation.

Good luck w/yours.

Thanks. At least on mine it is stuck in the position I would normally have it and all four fasteners are easy to get at, so if my efforts fail I can put any seat motor repair on hold. My mission was two fold, the first to fix seat travel and second to see what would be involved in installing new leather seat covers.

Last edited:
I got everything cleaned and lubed and put back together, but when I went to test the forward and back function I got nothing. After wiggling the switch around I got it to move both ways and back once more then nothing. I am starting to suspect the switch, the motor sounded fine when it did work. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Back