PDA

View Full Version : Sticky airbag cover--I'm stumped

Mercutio
08-15-2013, 06:31 PM
Either I'm nuts, or my steering wheel airbag cover is secreting a sticky goo that basically bonds with the rubber. Goo-b-gone can't touch it--the only thing that seems to work is scraping with a razor blade and then going over that with rubbing alcohol.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? Anyone have a solution?

KMT
08-15-2013, 06:40 PM
Is that the original bag?

What color is the goo?

Mercutio
08-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Is that the original bag?

What color is the goo?

As far as I know, and black.

And when I say sticky, I mean like you can stick a quarter to it and it won't fall off. Rips paper towels apart.

KMT
08-15-2013, 07:18 PM
That sounds like the tar (excess factory adhesive) that sometimes leaks from the window-to-body seal/joint.

I've got some in the rear, along the top edge (excess removed with a razor knife), but nothing in the front...so far. I thought it was just my car, but I've seen the same thing on others since.

If that's it, I know of little that will easily remove it or break it down without doing damage to a surface.

If you think it's coming out of the bag/shield, you may need to look for a replacement.

racecougar
08-15-2013, 09:20 PM
You're not nuts, Will. That nasty tar stuff is known to leak out of the steering wheel, airbag cover, and shifter on cars that have spent a fair portion of their lives out in the heat/sun. That stuff is no fun when you get it on your hands.

Mercutio
08-15-2013, 09:33 PM
You're not nuts, Will. That nasty tar stuff is known to leak out of the steering wheel, airbag cover, and shifter on cars that have spent a fair portion of their lives out in the heat/sun. That stuff is no fun when you get it on your hands.

Any solution you know?

I sure feel crazy, because sane people do not shave their steering wheels with a razor, then treat it with aftershave...more or less what I just did. Reminded me of that time I got tar on my legs sealing the attic roof, then had to shave it off.

BLOWN38
08-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Yup, car I bought from the south had it. I got another airbag a couple years ago.

racecougar
08-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Solution? Replacement. :(

When it happened in my '94, I replaced the shifter and the steering wheel. The XR7's steering wheel is constructed differently than the later pieces (won't ever have this issue) and I stuck a N.O.S. shifter in it when I built it. That car really doesn't spend that much time outside the cool garage anyway.

Ddubb
08-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Any solution you know?

I sure feel crazy, because sane people do not shave their steering wheels with a razor, then treat it with aftershave...more or less what I just did. Reminded me of that time I got tar on my legs sealing the attic roof, then had to shave it off.

I probably have a few spare 94/95 Airbags and a steering wheel here if you cant find another solution.

- Dan