View Full Version : T-5 Swap Q's

11-11-2002, 04:51 PM
This is something I'm looking at and trying to price. I have a few questions though. Most T-5's use a mechanical clutch where as our cars are hydraulic, how does this work? And how much longer/shorter is the driveshaft?

XR7 Dave
11-11-2002, 09:24 PM
Someone on TCCOA did this and there is an article there. Personally I would not do it. You are better off to rebuild the one you have. My $.02.

11-12-2002, 04:58 AM
I don't plan on doing it anytime soon but when this mazda **** craps out again, it will not be back. I'm looking towards either a Tremec TKO or a Richmond ROD 6-speed adn figure I ahould make sure I know what I need. Thanks

11-12-2002, 06:34 PM
I do know all of the hydraulics transfer over from the m5r2 to the new tranny, thus, keeping it a hydraulic clutch. as for the rest, get out your tape measure, make some phone calls, and get creative.

11-12-2002, 06:42 PM
I did this in the ranger, which also has a hydraulic clutch. There is a company ouy there which make a kit to convert the ranger setup to work w/ the T-5. Seeing as I have never looked at the clutch on an SC I don't know if it will work, but if you email me @ [email protected] I'lll give you the info. Also, the bellhousing off a 5.0 mustang will work on the SC, but the 5.0 bellhousing is a 10" whereas the SC is an 11". You'll have to get a 5.0 flywheel also, and have it machined to be zero balanced. If you have any more ?'s feel free to email me. I don't get to check this board too often, so I'm not sure if I'll be back if you reespond here. Steve

11-12-2002, 07:57 PM
I'm almost positive you can swap hydralic for mechanical. If I can I will becasue it shoul dbe easier than modifying the bellhousing and I like cable clutches better

11-12-2002, 09:42 PM
use a turbo-Coupe hydraulic unit. The shifter will sit right where the ashtray is with a T-5:D, you will also need another drive-shaft probably, plus T-5s are weaker, you'll blow 3rd in those. The easiest fix for the shifter location is to attach a long angled bar to the stock shifter to move the shifter handle back, another way is to weld two extension housing turrets together:p .

11-12-2002, 11:40 PM
I never thought of the TC clutch thanks. If I end up doing this it will be a tremec tko or richmond rod which will hold up to the torque. I'm still figuring ways to do the shifter but I'm thinking an AOD driveshaft should work ok (From what the article here says it need to be shortened one inch) so I figure a mark VIII aluminum shaft shortened should work perfectly (may need a different front yoke though) Thanks