Many Problems Fixed

1995-SC

Burning Oil, Startup and during test and constantly sometimes more pronounced

Plug 4 oil fouled/preignition, replaced all plugs, cars runs better for now

Cylinder Balance Test failed on #4
Sometimes the Cylinder Balance Test passes

NO KOEO or KOER codes

Do I need piston rings, valve stem seals or guides or what?

Oil is not as compressable as gas or air I guess

but is it an actually mechanical compression problem from detonation?

the other plugs appeared "OK' in comparison but needed servicing.

Last edited:
Have a photo of that plug?

Did you happen to do a wet/dry compression test when you swapped plugs?

Do a cylinder leak down test. it will tell so much more than just a compression test.

Pictures

Pics as requested, as I said, the other plugs were "normal" smokes bad
White smoke, black spots on ground or paper, not coolant

Attachments

• IMAG0294.jpg
    IMAG0294.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 370
  • IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 351
  • IMAG0298.jpg
    IMAG0298.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 345
Consumption

I'd say 2 quarts every few hundred miles, but haven't driven it much lately
Alls I know is it smokes, I tried Bardahl, don't remember results, maybe STP?

I don't really have the equipment to do the dry/wet or leak down tests

Where are you located? Might be another SC owner nearby that can help :)

Looks like it has to come apart - if that's the case, do you plan on DIY or ...?

I'd like to just fix it, and not tear it all apart

I dunno if it is worth doing, versus swapping in another bottom end?

Yup

Could be rings, could be valve seals. Detonation. Likely from oil fouling in the combustion chamber. If you want to know which go out and buy a compression tester. If its low and you squirt oil into it and the compression increases, you know then that you have ring problems. If you don't then its valve problems. If the compression is good, then you know the rings and valves are ok. It's likely a valve seal. It could still be a bad oil ring though. If the compression is high it means it's coked up. You have to actually start testing if you want answers. Otherwise pull off the valve cover and inspect the oil seals. Take the head off and have it inspected for valve guides. If it all checks out start on the bottom end. Bottom line is you have to get greasy or take to someone.

Without compression testing, I don't think you can do much until at least the heads come off.

Who knows what you'll find and how much further the job would go...

Do the leak down, it will tell you way way more than a compression test. wish if your motor failed a cylinder balnce test you have already done a compression test.

Bad valve seals won't cause low compression. That cylinder definitely detonated bad! Most of the electrode is melted off of the plug! With that kind of damage to the plug, the piston is probably also damaged. Either way, at a bare minimum, the heads have to come off to see what actually broke inside. A leak-down test is all well and good, but it is only going to tell you where the compression is leaking to, and you already know it is leaking to the crankcase, because you are getting burning a lot of oil and oil-fouling the plug.

someone is having a bad day. with that kind of damage to the plug and oil consumption, im betting there are burned up ring lands on the piston. I agree with the above, you know there is a compression problem, the leakdown will tell you where, but it really doesnt matter. To fix it you gotta tear into it. it sounds bad my friend.

AnyBody Want the Car?

Burlington County, New Jersey

Sometimes the Cylinder Balance Test passes.
I also just put some Riselone in it and the Test passed.

However, the Hood came up and smashed the windshield last night. DOLT

Dunno how far I wanna go into the car.

What makes me most mad is that I had worked most all the kinks out of it.
I was given an estimate of $1100 to repair it, but who knows what else could need replacing along the way. The right electric Window is slow on trackguide
I have a extra set of wheels and tires. Aftermarket Pioneer stereo, have OEM.

How much do you want for the car? When the hood came up, what other damage did it do? How is the interior? Any rust on the car? Does the odometer work?

The windshield, the little parts of the hood, and the struts

The interior is great, no rust, if you wanna come see it, arrange quickly.

The odometer works and is in the 96,4xx range

Back