PDA

View Full Version : Looking for IRCM with chunk of wiring (in west end)

Peterdroy66
08-20-2013, 12:38 PM
Want to use in my Mustang, have an IRCM, but need a connector and chunk of the wiring harness - used to have one around, but cleaned up a few years ago....

PR

KMT
08-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Not all IRCMs are the same P/N, but they might all use the same harness...

What's the P/N (year? trans?) on yours and where do you need stuff shipped to?

S_Mazza
08-20-2013, 02:07 PM
Not all IRCMs are the same P/N, but they might all use the same harness...

What's the P/N (year? trans?) on yours and where do you need stuff shipped to?

The connector plug is the same for all years up to the early 2000s. But some of the earlier models had a few blank spaces in the connectors (no wires).

Peterdroy66
08-20-2013, 03:02 PM
To use Supercoupe IRCM or Mustang CCRM, would prefer just to find what I need local.
CCRM has EEC relay and Fuel pump relay in it.

PR

KMT
08-20-2013, 03:45 PM
The connector plug is the same for all years up to the early 2000s. But some of the earlier models had a few blank spaces in the connectors (no wires).

I'm confident the connector is common, but are the wires common too, regardless?

S_Mazza
08-20-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm confident the connector is common, but are the wires common too, regardless?

If you mean, "Does pin X always correspond to thing Y inside the module?" then, generally, yes. I think Ford planned out all the pins pretty well so they had flexibility to fit a lot of things inside the module if they chose to. That makes it nice and modular. For example, early SCs have the fuel pump relay in the trunk, but some Mustangs have the fuel pump relay inside the module. So on the SC, the relevant pins are just left blank. However, I wouldn't assume that it will work without checking the pinout charts in the relevant year IRCMs at a minimum.

FWIW, I am running a non-stock IRCM right now, and it seems to be working fine. I bought an "R" code from a later Thunderbird, Mustang, and/or Taurus. The SC has a "K", I think. The item looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/111042563655?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

But as mentioned, my car can safely ignore the extra stuff inside the later module. It wouldn't work going the other direction.

Now, I do have a battery drain problem that seems to be completely random... Related to the IRCM? I wish I knew. I can never catch it draining the battery. When I check, it's fine. But it was totally dead on two occasions.

KMT
08-20-2013, 05:08 PM
Was more curious about wire colors & if they are constant across applications, but your info is still good, thanks.

It's all info I can suss over time, of course, between EVTMs and junk yard dogs, but right now I've got some units on hand I've been testing and seeing what it takes to repair, etc. so all info helps me later if/when I put any on the market.

Since they are still available via RockAuto, etc. there is still plenty of time to gather info and decide repair paths.

S_Mazza
08-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Was more curious about wire colors & if they are constant across applications, but your info is still good, thanks.

It's all info I can suss over time, of course, between EVTMs and junk yard dogs, but right now I've got some units on hand I've been testing and seeing what it takes to repair, etc. so all info helps me later if/when I put any on the market.

Since they are still available via RockAuto, etc. there is still plenty of time to gather info and decide repair paths.

I wound up with the one I have because I recently had a problem where the low-speed cooling fan wasn't coming on. I had replaced the fan motor about a year and a half ago with a junkyard Taurus fan motor. I assumed it was still good. So I thought I had an IRCM problem.

I checked the internals of the stock IRCM and found that the relays were all fine. But at least one of the two electrolytic capacitors had leaked. I didn't have the required parts on hand or much time to mess with it, so I put the other IRCM into service in the meantime.

I just replaced the two capacitors last night, so I will put the stock IRCM back in soon. Then I will open up the "R" code one just for kicks.

In the stock SC IRCM, there are no fancy components. No ICs. Everything's just resistors, transistors, diodes, and relays. The only custom electronic parts I see are the PCB and the connector. Start printing PCBs and you could put out an all-new IRCM pretty cheaply. I think these boards will be repairable indefinitely. (Which, unfortunately, can't be said about certain modules that have custom ICs.)

I have half a mind to build my own IRCM just for kicks, but I have bigger fish to fry.

From time to time I read comments (on Corral, for example) with a tone that implies that Ford was "mean" to put IRCMs and CCRMs in their cars instead of "simply" using all separate relays. That gave me the idea to walk through the process of building an array of relays to do what the IRCM does, including all the diodes to stop relay bounce, etc.. Imagine the rat's nest of wires that would be. Might change a mind or two.

KMT
08-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Right...they're not complicated to test and repair - parts are cheap enough. I think it was a fairly interesting component back in the day, tho. Likely a trickle-down from their aerospace division, perhaps.