Exhaust (again) cat back only or what do you guys do? Show me a system to get--PLEASE

JAFO

Went to another shop. Told me that a new system wouldn't really do anything, even with high flowing converters. WTF? This is basically another place that has had money in their faces and turned it down! Must be a bear to work on these cars, I guess? I'm about to get fed up here. You'd think the idea of aftermarket exhaust was some new ground breaking idea around here.

I'm to the point that I'm about ready to just say !@#$ it and buy a cat back. I thought that the converters were part of the problem though, and I don't want to do it half way. What's the best cat-back for the money for a '91 style gas tank (swapping the tank is *not* an option).

welp..

I think your SOL cause I don't beleive they make a cat-back for the 89-91 years. Only 92 and newer. I have a 91 and had that same problem so I said to hell with it. I bought 2 high flow C & L universal cats, a magnaflow i think 18 inch resonator, and 2 dynomax 14 inch universal mufflers. Had them put all that **** on with new custom 2.5 inch downtubing. Left stock tubing in from resonator back.. Why? I dont' know. Its stainless and it will last. You know this isn't the highest flowing system but after I had that installed but I saw a drop in boost. Which of course lost a little low end... but it was a seat of the pants mod I could feel so it had to have done something postive! Don't listen to the shop, they also told me it wasn't worth it so i was like umm what the hell your just gonna blow off an oppurtunity to make money? Didn't understand that but.......just be under your own initiative and create a custom exhaust. Just buy each part seperatly and have the tubing custom bent. Its probably cheaper. Don't listen to all that mandrel bent ****. Unless your pushing a good deal of HP it isn't going to make a difference.

i think flowmaster has the only cat-back system for the earlier tanks. i bought the flowmaster system, w/o the resonator. i took it to the shop and had the guy make me new downtubes, he put in new hi flow magna flow cats, new piping after the cats and a magnaflow glasspack and of couse the flowmaster system.

Supercoupe Performance has one, but it's $740. I was hoping for alternatives to dropping that kind of cash. I mostly want the 3" center pipe, and could get the Magnaflow's separately, but I really want to open up the center pipe. $740 is hard to swallow for any mod, for me, not slighting the quality.

90xr7reborn said:
SP motorsport has a couple of systems, they had a dynomax for 269$ they also had flowmaster and borla...Bill

Those sound pretty good to me. What's the site? I get an audio site at www.spmotorsport.com.

Seems like a Borla would sound pretty good on an SC, but I don't see a '91 SC listed on their site.

Last edited:
Find yourself a local shop that will do Mandrel Bend... my custom (with no resonator) cat-back with 3" was $395 installed.

plev72 said:
Find yourself a local shop that will do Mandrel Bend... my custom (with no resonator) cat-back with 3" was $395 installed.

That's pretty much the hard part--finding a shop that does mandrel bends. Not that common. These other shops haven't even wanted to do it at all. Found another that specializes in performance setups, so maybe I'll have some luck with them tomorrow.
Still open if anyone knows of aftermarket cat-back systems though.

Unfortunately, the Borla cat back kit only fits Birds with the newer gas tank - but it fits them all regardless of what Borla says. I put their kit on my 93 5 speed with no problems even though they don't include 93 in their specs.

Jon

Yeah, I figured that out after talking to a few people here. Borla says their kit only fits 94 and 95 sticks but it fits all birds, 92 - 97 with the new gas tank regardless of transmission or SC/no SC.

Jon

Do not get an early year 2nd generation tank! The early 92's, maybe 93's as well had a problem with the gas tanks warpping. Causes all kinds of bad stuff to happen. There should be a label on the gas tank as to when it was made, just make sure its after 94 to be on the safe side, as cost is no difference.

Back