carpet install problems

bumpskier45

I have attempted to install the carpet that supposedly was built and molded specifically for the thunderbird sc,I got it from bill at supercoupe performance.As a general rule its a decent carpet,but as to the molded part it falls short especially in the back.There are some turns and curves near where the door shuts and right where the persons feet would go if you was sitting in the back,that is the area I am have problems with.First of all the adhesive I picked up said it was for this but it didn't work for a dam,I let the carpet sit in the sun all day and it still wont make those turns and curves in the back,I looked up as much information as I could on youtube seeing if I could get some tips,one of the guys was using contact cement,anyone here ever use that,it has been said it sticks better but I don't know I have never used it,anyone want to chime in on any of this I would like to do this myself but if I don't get any good suggestions I may have to take it in,which would be a pain because of course all the seats are out getting new leather lol.

I havent been happy with the aftermarket carpets offered for these vehicles. I bought the best one from bill last year. I installed it, it looks like crap and I hate it. Good thing I bought floormats at the same time to cover up how horrible it looks underneath them. My biggest problem was the passenger front floor. You just can't work the creases out of it because its not molded good to the car. Took all day and more than all of my patience. I would spend $1000 to get factory carpet!

chris

Not sure that what's being sold is for DIY.

Aren't they made with the expectation that excess needs to be trimmed, with common tools being heat guns and proper adhesive, worked against either existing or fresh padding? It might help to keep the old carpet long enough to use as a reference as well.

USD$1K would go a long ways towards a professional installation, I think :)

I would think that a heat gun would be very helpful in molding the carpet to the shape of the floorpan.

Incidentally, I have never been 100% happy with the fit of the factory carpet either. :) But it doesn't bother me that much.

I have tried the heat gun,by the time I start trying to mold it its already hardening up on me.I paid 187 bucks for this carpet most people on the forum have not liked it,I think I am going to try and call the dealer see how much those are because now is the time to do it when everything is out.I will try the heat gun and contact cement see if that produces any better results I will let you all know how it goes.

I have tried the heat gun,by the time I start trying to mold it its already hardening up on me.I paid 187 bucks for this carpet most people on the forum have not liked it,I think I am going to try and call the dealer see how much those are because now is the time to do it when everything is out.I will try the heat gun and contact cement see if that produces any better results I will let you all know how it goes.

Does the dealer really still sell a carpet for these cars?

You're using the heat gun in the car and still can't get it to change shape?

Just got off the line with ford and no it is no longer available,he checked his ford finder for nationwide,and still nothing. The problem with the heat gun is you have to make sure to keep it far enough away so that you don't singe the carpet,but yes it was working to a degree,the problem was when I had it about the shape I needed the adhesive was not holding it,which is what made me think of contact cement,but im afraid heating that up may cause some harmfull fumes.The adhesive I used just didn't seem to stick at all,it worked really well for the headliner,and the installation of the leather on the door panels I just assumed it would work well on the carpet but it didn't.

Just got off the line with ford and no it is no longer available,he checked his ford finder for nationwide,and still nothing. The problem with the heat gun is you have to make sure to keep it far enough away so that you don't singe the carpet,but yes it was working to a degree,the problem was when I had it about the shape I needed the adhesive was not holding it,which is what made me think of contact cement,but im afraid heating that up may cause some harmfull fumes.The adhesive I used just didn't seem to stick at all,it worked really well for the headliner,and the installation of the leather on the door panels I just assumed it would work well on the carpet but it didn't.

Hmm. I am not 100% sure of the necessity of the adhesive. The OEM carpet doesn't seem to be particularly well stuck. Nor would I necessarily want it to be.

I guess that it could be important from the perspective of keeping the hot carpet in place until it cools.

I wonder if you could try this: Take a wood-handled sledgehammer with the roundest head you can find. Heat it to a certain temperature, say 300 F, and test it on a scrap of the carpet to make sure it won't hurt it. Repeat until you find a temperature that softens but doesn't hurt the carpet. Then use the hammer as a tool to simultaneously heat and stretch the carpet without any risk of singeing it. Hold in place until the carpet and hammer cool, and the shape should be changed.

Back