Power Steering Flush

90whtbrd

I searched this topic, but the posts were either old or not very detailed. I was thinking of not only purging the air out of the system, but hopefully quieting the pump as well. What I would like to learn is are there any pros or cons on flushing the system at the age these cars are now with the seals, etc. Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Jack front end up (wheels off ground) and put on jack stands, drain reservoir, refill, with pump running turn wheel lock to lock until noise stops. Rinse repeat until all fluid is bright and clean.

I use Mercon III.

You could drain it from the rack by disconnecting one of the lines but I'd stick with the reservoir.

jack the front up and use jack stands on each side. I disconnected the return line to the pump at the tube on the cross member. the pump reservoir will drain out. then i plugged the end of that hose. i attached another piece of hose to the tube and ran it into my drain pan.

i disconnected the ignition system at the coil (i also remove the fuses for the ignition and fuel pump for safety). then fill the reservoir with clean fluid. while cranking the car over (the car will not start, but the starter will turn the engine to drive the pump), turn the wheel from lock to lock 10 times. be careful to not let the reservoir run dry. i was able to go lock to lock without it going to low. stop and refill the reservoir each time. 3-4 quarts should flush it out. remove the drain hose, and remove plug and reconnect the reservoir return hose to the tube on the cross member. reconnect the fuses and the coil. start car and turn from lock to lock a five times. stop and check/top off fluid. lower the car back to the ground.

Success! these pumps are noisy even without air in them!

Thanks for the replies. I think I have a pretty good idea on how to flush and purge the system, what I was concerned about was the age of the system. I don't want to dislodge anything and cause a problem with any seals or something. I don't think it will be a problem, but I thought I would ask. Thanks again for the replies.

Back