Grinding after new starter install

Adv25zero

I installed a new starter in my 95 sc and there is a terrible squealing and grinding noise when I start it up. I spoke to a mechanic over the phone and said that maybe the lady at the auto store sold me a starter for a manual and mine is auto. Is this possible? Are there any differences between auto and manual starters?

Yes they are different, but they look very similar and that is entirely possible. Pull it back out and take it back before you damage your flexplate, which would require removing the transmission to replace.

I phoned the ford dealership and they said there is no difference for the starter of that year. Any other suggestions on why the grinding?

Could need shimmed....could be a bad starter gear. It could have had a crack in a tooth that you can't see and under load just snapped.
I've never had that problem either. All the starters for the f150's are the same that I have replaced as far as auto and manual trans...as well as mustangs.
My only thought could be that maybe the flex plate has a couple more teethe on the ring gear compared to the flywheel ring gear, but I think they are the same diameter so I don't know that they could make it with different teeth on the ring gear.

Ford

I'm guessing the flex plate needs replacing because I've gone through 4 starters in 6 months. I replaced it because it seemed as though when I was trying to start it that it was having a hard time cranking over sometimes and other times it would start like nothing. I managed to get it started today and was heading home with it. It had recently stayed 2 nights in a parking lot because of the starter. But I made it about 1/2 a mile and bam loud klunck and oil everywhere. I'm waiting for a tow truck right now. Anyway this 95 sc only has 70k on it and I need a new head gasket and the tranny is blown plus it overheats and I just did the water pump. So many problems and the car isn't even broken in yet. I'm lucky that I've got a 92 sc 5 speed for parts and to do a tranny swap. Do you think it's easier to do all the repairs on my 95 or just engine swap with the 92?

I'm guessing the flex plate needs replacing because I've gone through 4 starters in 6 months. I replaced it because it seemed as though when I was trying to start it that it was having a hard time cranking over sometimes and other times it would start like nothing. I managed to get it started today and was heading home with it. It had recently stayed 2 nights in a parking lot because of the starter. But I made it about 1/2 a mile and bam loud klunck and oil everywhere. I'm waiting for a tow truck right now. Anyway this 95 sc only has 70k on it and I need a new head gasket and the tranny is blown plus it overheats and I just did the water pump. So many problems and the car isn't even broken in yet. I'm lucky that I've got a 92 sc 5 speed for parts and to do a tranny swap. Do you think it's easier to do all the repairs on my 95 or just engine swap with the 92?

So what was the klunk? Transmission? Where is this oil coming from?

Overheating could be a cooling fan problem or something related to the head gaskets.

ouch

Something went through the bottom of the oil pan. Motor is likely trash. That is not to day it is not fixable but an engine swap is likely easier. You'll have to put the 95 specific stuff on the 92 motor though.

What do you mean 95 specific stuff? Is there a walk through on a 95 engine swap on here? I searched but didn't have any luck.

Back