can't get trany to mate up please help!!!

ghostryder

I am installing engine in my 90 sc. got an engine from a member here that had a manual tranny now I an trying to mate the engine to the auto tranny. first questions is with the different tranny make a difference? am I doing something wrong. I made sure the torque converter is all the way on the shaft, the flywheel only line up with the hole on back of engine perfectly in one position. if top of tranny sits flush against engine the bottom doesn't and visa versa.

I have searched and didn't find much to help me. I been trying for two days to get engine in. grrrrrr!! can someone tell me what I am doing wrong!! please help!!!

Al.

Never mind, my first post was a stupid question. I'm guessing its just at the wrong angles. Maybe an alignment pin is cock-eyed and not letting it sit flush.

Last edited:
When I put an AOD in a 91 I didnt have the torque converter in all the way even though I thought it was. Couldn't get the tranny to go flush against the block. Pulled it back away and rotated TC while pushing on it and then it when in another 3/4 of an inch. Did the trick and it all went together.

I made sure the torque converter is all the way on the shaft, the flywheel only line up with the hole on back of engine perfectly in one position.

Do you mean Flexplate? If not that might be your problem there. The Flexplate is thinner then a flywheel and allows for the expansion of the torque converter at high RPMs. With a thicker flywheel in there that might not give you enough clearance to slip it in all the way.

Was the pilot bearing-bushing removed from the crank? if so them most likely the convertor is not seated all the way

That was my guess the pilot bearing is not allowing the pilot of the converter into the crank. You have to remove it entirely.
Alan

When I put an AOD in a 91 I didnt have the torque converter in all the way even though I thought it was. Couldn't get the tranny to go flush against the block. Pulled it back away and rotated TC while pushing on it and then it when in another 3/4 of an inch. Did the trick and it all went together.
I turned and turned the T C doesn't seem to go any further but i'll try it some more

That was my guess the pilot bearing is not allowing the pilot of the converter into the crank. You have to remove it entirely.
Alan
I pulled the pilot bearing out completely it came out in two pieces but it is out. I took torque converter off and put it in to make sure it would fit and it did.

Do you mean Flexplate? If not that might be your problem there. The Flexplate is thinner then a flywheel and allows for the expansion of the torque converter at high RPMs. With a thicker flywheel in there that might not give you enough clearance to slip it in all the way.
sorry yes I meant the flex plate

Ok then. i think that as you turn the covertor you will feel and hear 2 distictive clunks. also if the convertor is seated it will set below the face of the bell of the trans.be paitent and it will fall in place when every thing is right.

also if the convertor is seated it will set below the face of the bell of the trans.be paitent and it will fall in place when every thing is right.
Thats correct.. you'll not be able to see the studs when looking from the side. Be aware the converter can work its way forward during installation too.

Back