quick cold running Question

89scoupe

I just purchased an 89 SC, car runs great, but I noticed it runs a little funny when its cold, almost like its missing a little. Once it warms up in runs like a raped ape. Is this just a characteristic of the car, or could it be something else?

Last edited:
Without more info, it may help to run the codes for hints.

Otherwise, what can you say about the last time it was tuned up and the fuel treated and grounds checked, front/upper harness inspected, last work done, etc.

Not sure when the last tune up was , the last owner said it was just done, the wires are definitely new, don't know about the plugs till I pull one. it was sitting in a garage for the last six months, so I'm also wondering if it's bad gas

If you live in an area where you don't have real gas and it has fuel with ethanol or however you spell that,if the gas isn't used in a timely fashion lets say a month or so the chemical componets start to break down,and can do funky things just like they do on small lawn equipment.You may not be in an area where you can get 100% gas,but no biggie as long as the gas is used up in a fair amount of time,I am sure you already know but don't forget when you get fresh gas if that is indeed the issue not saying it is,to get the 93+ octane,or you will have a new set of issues. good luck

Yrs our gas does have ethenol, and like I said it was sitting for 6 months, with a 1/4 tank of old gas.

If its a daily driver or you drive fairly regulerly then I would fill it up with 93 octane gas see what happens.If it has been sitting for that amount of time with the same gas in it I would change the fuel filter who knows what kind of garbage came out of that tank once you started it back up again,its cheap and super easy to get to.These cars tend to run better when they are cool like right after you start them up,because the supercharger isn't heated up yet at least that is what my car does,its the most powerful like a few min after I start it.

Back