Went to the track yesterday...

935spd

It was about 55 degrees out. These are my times.

60' 1/4 MPH
first run 2.522 15.835 90.42
2nd run 2.287 15.743 90.37
3rd run 2.156 15.489 90.77

I was getting horrible wheel hop on all three runs and just couldn't get any traction. The first two runs my tire pressure was at 18psi and my last run it was at 15psi. I was using Nitto 555 245/45/17 tires. What are you all doing to help out with the wheel hop? Also anyone running slicks or drag radials? What size, brand, psi?

This traction problem is really holding me back. I feell I should be well into the 14's with my mods.

Nick

Well, although the 60' could use a little improvement, a 2.1 isn't totally bad. Sure, 1.9's-2.0's would of been great, but even if you cut a 1.9, you still probally be looking at right around a 15.0 pass basied on your other times. As far as slicks/drag radials, I'd say either Nitto 55DR's, BFG Drags, or M/T E.T. Slicks. I've run the Nitto's DR's as low as 13.5lbs, and still couldn't run better then a 2.1 60'.

Thomas

I'm no expert, but I have raced some and your 60 ft. times aren't that bad. I had a Mustang that ran 14.30 and never did better than a 2.1 60 ft. Your mph is about right for your e.t. If you look at Thomas A's 93 SC, he has 98 mph for a 14.20 which is the same mph my Mustang ran. MPH is an indicator of horsepower so maybe your engine is needs some fine tuning because with your listed mods the horsepower should be there. What have you been shifting at? I haven't modified or raced my cougar yet, but these are just some general thoughts.

Can I ask you a few things?

What are you doing with 3.73:1 gears in a 5-speed? You wonder why it spins the tires, you have too much gear.

How are you launching it? Rev and dump? Let it out slow and when the clutch is fully engaged hit it!

Did you go through the water box? Did you heat 'em up?

With your mods and a 5-speed I'd expect around 14.4-14.5 from your car.

Somethings not right. You are only hitting 90 mph, mine did 89 BONE STOCK. I think your gears are overkill and are hurting you. Do you hit 5th in the 1/4?

great point

Great point, why would you put 3:73 gears in a 5-speed? i mean i think its just write in my aod, mabe to muck sometimes but in a 5-speeds NO.. wheel hop is really comon for the SC 5-speeds and if you get some drag tires thats the only way your getting rid of the wheel hop and the also the 3:73./.

Jerry V.

Just a thought, but the knock sensor may be pulling timing out, with opened up air intake and a 10% pulley, that's a combonation for a new head gasket. As for the wheel hop, bushings and tread on the tires helps. When my tires were almost bald, insane wheel hop. New tires, no more hop. Just as well, a 10 year old car with 10 year old worn out rubber bushings will let those wheels hop. I used to get bad hop, but I just had to figure out how to launch.

Just as well, when my car is out next spring summer, It's gunna have 3.73's, with a five spd, as well as a new cam, massive head work, headers, 10% od, steel idlers, underdrives, and a full exhaust. I'm shootin for high 13's, or low 14's just to be safe. If i do better, i'll be much happier.

And that's my $.02

The reason I put 3.73s in was because I bought a diff with from a guy who had already put the 3.73s in. Just swapped out the diffs. I am only revving up to about 1,000 rpms and trying to ride the clutch out as best I can. Just for any of you who are wondering the 3.73 are a lot of fun on the street.

Nick:D

Are those Nitto's drag radials? On a radial tire you shouldn't be lowering the pressure very much, because the tire will cup under load. A good indication of this is a strip of rubber that is lighter in the center and darker at the edges.

That 3.73 must be like driving a old pickup with granny gear. Overall 14:1 gear ratio. :eek:

New bushings and body mounts would be a start.

Jeff

Back