The infamous DIS/cam/crank sensor issues

Evan_90SC

I am no stranger to this issue, In the past I've replaced the DIS and cam sensor and resolved the surging/bucking/etc. This time around the problem is similar, but I don't get as much surging. Runs great when cold, but after getting up to temp and when trying to restart while hot, it bogs down, kind of acting like it has retarded timing, sometimes stalling out at idle. When it intermittently acts up while driving down the road it's just a big loss of power, tach fluctuation, a little surging, but doesn't feel like it's missfiring.

I've checked codes a few different times after it's happened. Pulled a 19 once, and a 46 another time. 46 is coil pack related I believe, but it doesn't feel like it's missing so I haven't pursued that one very much. I replaced the cam sensor again this time around, no change. DIS has new artic silver under it, although I haven't put a new DIS in it again yet.

I guess what I'm looking for is maybe some more opinions. I'm leaning towards the crank sensor this time. Wiring looks ok, but I have a spare that I'll probably swap in tomorrow. I'm also leaning towards the front/top harness. I plan to take all the conduit off that and inspect it tomorrow as well. Being that it's intermittent, and only when hot, makes me think more towards a sensor though. Has anyone had any issues with intermittent problems when hot that has turned out to be wiring/harness related?

I had this recently also and it was the crank sensor/harness ripped up and a wire broke pulling on it.

All my wiring is looking ok so far. Was yours intermittent when hot though? Or did you have constant problems?

I have the same issue right now new crank sensor 8 month old cam sensor (not motorcraft tho) and just received and installed a used DIS well see how it acts tomorrow but I was getting a 212 engine code ( grounded spout) if nothing changes next step is engine harness.

I've had about 5 dis modules fail over the years and have had at least 3 different sets of symptoms. I even have one that was flaking out only a blip every other day. :rolleyes:

If it happens with heat, I always check the dis first. There are numerous solder points and chips inside the DiS that can have a poor connection after being overheated or experiencing years of hot/cold cycles.

That's not to say that cam or crank sensor can't have intermittent heat-related failures. However, in my experience I've only had one cam sensor fail and it was not intermittent.

Keep a spare DIS in your glovebox. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, all my wiring checked out ok. Crank sensor didn't fix it, and it still happens with the cam sensor unplugged. I'm going back to the DIS. Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket ones? I don't even know if aftermarket ones are any cheaper, just curious though.

Those two codes together, with those symptoms, sound just like a failing DIS to me.

The aftermarket DIS made by SMP is fine. I think it is identical to Motorcraft.

Back