Alternator Upgrade and Fitment

NewEdgeSC

OK, a diode in my SC alternator is bad and causing electrical problems in my Mustang. I need to put the stock Mustang alternator on it but it wont fit the bracket. Any advice or suggestions? Wondering if anyone else has put one of these in their SC.

Yeah I saw that thread and read thru it but I don't think anyone was using the alternator I have. I did search believe it or not.

Yeah I saw that thread and read thru it but I don't think anyone was using the alternator I have

Can you better describe your Mustang alternator - year, output, etc.. Is the bracket ok in general, but just not wide enough to fit the large lower boss or what? Photos?

My alternator is for a 2000 Mustang V6, it has a second single wire plug that the SC alternator does not. The bolt holes are the same it's just that the case is larger on the mustang one and it wont settle all the way in the bracket. I will look at it some more later and I might get some pics up too.

I'm using a 99 Mustang v6 alt. on mine. You have to grind the bracket to make it fit. And use a bolt and nut for the upper ear mount.

are super coupe alternators not available any more??? or is it that people want to go to the junk yard and get alternators?

I have been trying to wrap my head around all the alternator swaps people are doing and i just say "what are the benifits" other than if you need more power out of it for stereo equipment. Not trying to be an ~~~ just dont know here.

are super coupe alternators not available any more??? or is it that people want to go to the junk yard and get alternators?

I have been trying to wrap my head around all the alternator swaps people are doing and i just say "what are the benifits" other than if you need more power out of it for stereo equipment. Not trying to be an ~~~ just dont know here.

Stock alternators are plentiful :) I have two stock spares and one near-new from a junk-yard donor I swapped in just because it's all nice and shiny.

Some owners have a need for higher output and look for various solutions.

Some owners are in the midst of a engine swap, say SC motor into a Mustang, and may need to either deal with wiring differences and need to use something other than an SC item and/or simply want to recycle certain original parts from the car rather than from the motor.

Rebuild parts for the SC alternators (voltage regulator and rectifier) are quite pricey relative to other alternators, and relative to newer 3G and 6G units. I think it's just a matter of quantity. The SC / XR7 alternator is a little unique.

Rebuild parts for the SC alternators (voltage regulator and rectifier) are quite pricey relative to other alternators, and relative to newer 3G and 6G units.

I used to think that, but RockAuto suddenly started selling internals, etc.

Voltage regulators, as an example, are between $25 & $100 depending on if they're closeout or regular priced.

I used to think that, but RockAuto suddenly started selling internals, etc.

Voltage regulators, as an example, are between $25 & $100 depending on if they're closeout or regular priced.

I priced them out just recently ... for this alternator, the rectifier is $35, the regulator is $35, and the bearings are about $20. We're at $90 and haven't even paid shipping or done the work yet.

A new 3G can be had under $150.
http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/fordalternator.html

And a new 6G under $200.
http://www.maniacelectricmotors.com/newal20mu82.html

So I don't think the price difference is all that much between rebuilding the SC one and buying a newer model.

I would rather keep it original if possible, but the other options aren't too bad.

That's a good point.

I was thinking back in the day where if you were lucky to find a regulator/rectifier, it was priced sky high.

If a unit needs everything for a rebuild, even stock seems to have come down a bit. AZ wants $131.

Last time I checked my rebuilder only charges ~$90 (I know it was cheaper for him to rebuild it than for me to buy the parts). So basically if you never brake the case you'll never have a problem.

Last time I checked my rebuilder only charges ~$90 (I know it was cheaper for him to rebuild it than for me to buy the parts). So basically if you never brake the case you'll never have a problem.

*nods*

Add to that I've only made ONE warranty claim against my rebuilder since the early 70's ... through *counts* about 25 cars total, between generators, alternators, and starters.

I'd rather have one he rebuilt than one off eBay or for sure from O'Reilly's, Advance, or AutoZone.

RwP

Back