ABS Pump Run Time

TwoTimeSC

Anyone out there know what the "normal" length of time time is for the ABS pump motor to run when the key is first turned on in the morning after the car has sat all night?

I replaced the Pump motor relay and the accumulator 3,000 miles ago just to get the ABS back to normal. (Relay was stuck closed and both ABS and Brake lights were coming on during hard stops)

Braking system now works perfectly normal under all conditions but it seems like it takes too long for the accumulator to get "charged-up" after sitting all night. Pump motor runs for about 30-45 seconds and until pressure is built back up, the ABS and Brake lights stay on.

This only happens first thing in the morning.
Do Prior Reman accumulators leak-down overnight or is this normal for even the stock Ford accumulator?

I normally wouldn't care but sometimes when I fire the car up and start driving, the lights staying on, even for a short time, freak some passengers out. (My wife for one) :eek:

Don't worry.. This is normal. The shop manuals state that it is normal for the pump to run for up to a minute when initially started up.. It may seem like a long time, but its OK. As long as the 2 lights go out and stay out and you've got good brakes and the ABS works, its working properly.

Now, just for kicks, if you wish, run the car for a while, shut the engine off, pop the hood, and wait for it to get quiet outside, and place your ear near the brake unit.. you MAY hear the very faint sound of leak! :eek: Thats the accumulator pressure slowly discharging out into the main body valve and up into the reservoir.. its supposed to do that. :)

I reread your post and I just want to be clear.. the 2 lights should go out after some time period (up to a minute) and never come on again after the initial startup.

Tell your wife that it is OK to drive the car when this is happening as long as the brakes feel good. If there was a problem, you would have to push very hard on the pedal to stop the car.
Hope this helps.:)

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick, reassuring reply.

The lights do go out and never come back on after 30-45 seconds and the ABS functions perfectly. I even get 6-8 presses of the brake pedal before the pump motor kicks back on to re-charge the accumulator.

Paul

Back