Ignition switch fuse keeps blowing!!

Dbarnhill

Hoping you guys can help me out here. I just finished up my 5 speed swap and went to crank up the car for a test run. Starter engaged but the car didnt start, tried a couple times and noticed i didnt hear the fuel pump priming up, so i put my EEC reader on then the fuel pump gurgled and the engine caught for a split second before it died completely with a lingering smell of burned electrical wire. The small ground wire going from the negative battery terminal had fried, as well as the 80A fuse for ignition switch in the power distribution box. Fixed the wire, replaced the fusible link now every time key is turned to ON position, it pops the fuse. Ive tried removing all the fuses in the whole box except for the ignition switch fuse and it still does same thing. Also tried another EEC. Same problem. Can anyone help me out with this? Im a newb with electrical and dont know how to do all the checks for continuity and ohms and all that so please take it easy on me lol

Sounds like you have a dead short in the system. I would really go digging around where you changed the pedal assemblies. Also I would check to make sure that your starter and solenoid wires aren't grounded out or touching.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a dead short in the system. I would really go digging around where you changed the pedal assemblies. Also I would check to make sure that your starter and solenoid wires aren't grounded out or touching.

Yes, blowing an 80A fuse (!) sound like a problem with the starter circuit to me. (Including the ignition switch wiring.) That's a lot of juice!

You might want to check your wiring at the starter relay on the inner fender.

Also, are you sure that your negative battery cable is hooked up properly to the motor mount?

Back