PDA

View Full Version : new 89 xr7 sc owner would like info

johnbar42p
09-14-2013, 07:50 AM
I am new to this forum and just purchased a one owner 89 xr7 all original with paperwork. it only has 21,500 original miles on it and I can trace its lineage. it is black with titanium interior and automatic transmission. had some pretty bad paint fading from sitting out in the sun and not hardly being driven much at all. I was able to rub out the finish and got it looking real nice, although it does have a couple of minor paint issues where some idiot put a couple of minor scratches .
Anyway I was wondering what kind of find this was as I do not know much about these cars. there is not a whole lot of information out there but I am finding out these are pretty rare. I love the car and take to local car nights.

johnbar42p
09-14-2013, 11:23 AM
I was wondering if this is a car I should do any performance upgrades on, or if I should leave it in original condition. I should clarify by saying that it has a cheap aftermarket tape deck in it and the power antenna was broken off and repaired with a flexible shaft one. but otherwise this is all original and in beautiful condition.

superdadsc
09-14-2013, 12:19 PM
It is a nice car for sure but prices have not gone up on these cars but they have dropped.

You can always upgrade and hold on to your stock parts.

With out getting crazy you could do

94/95 blower
10% OD
42lbs injectors
76 maf/75 TB
Intake
Double IC
Proper tune
exhaust

That could get you to a real strong running car. Probably around 250 to 270 rwhp.

Use the search there is a ton of info.

Welcome to the forum. This is the place to be!

johnbar42p
09-14-2013, 01:06 PM
thanks for your reply not real sure what I am going to do, on a limited budget, I would really like to have a nice sounding exhaust.

superdadsc
09-14-2013, 04:23 PM
This would be my order

1st Exhaust > downtubes & resonator are restrictive mufflers OK
2nd DIC > Ken wagner makes them!:D A must!:D

This will lay the platform for future mods, exhaust and IC!:D After these are done you can add some OD and save for future mods.

Keep your eys's on the for sale section.

HwyStar
10-04-2013, 01:23 PM
s90z is selling a nice exhaust system, but hes in Norfolk. Kinda hard to get a decent exhaust system for early tank style. The system would fit your car. Just need to do the pipes from the manifold through some catalysts to the exhaust....unless you got the Kooks headers from him too.

64.5 Stang
10-10-2013, 07:19 PM
I looked at the Kooks web site and I could not find anything listed for the SC.

Jimmy 2Coupes
10-10-2013, 07:31 PM
I looked at the Kooks web site and I could not find anything listed for the SC.

Check out this link for headers and much more. Also welcome to the club.

https://supercoupeperformance.com/partBrowser.aspx?category=22

J dot Miller
10-10-2013, 08:38 PM
To me the po-boy starter mods for an XR7 are:

Replace the stock Balancer with a BHJ Harmonic Balancer (no power gain but will save headache).
Remove air silencer & add K&N filter (can add a little HP).
Upgrade to a stock 94+ MAF or C&L 76mm (some HP gain).
Replace resonator with a high flow resonator.
Gut the cats if you can.
Port the stock headers for more flow.
75mm throttle body upgrade.
Some disagree, but I use a FF DIS heat sink. Others upgrade to the newer style.

:)