maf and injectors

lowflying90

if i upgrade from 30 to 36 lb injectors, do i need to change the electronics on my 70 mm maf? the sampling tube? it is stock. or i just buy a maf off of a 94 or 95 supercoupe.

thanks,
jeff

i have 36 # injectors and a 70 mm throttle bodie on my 90 and its running rich, i was wondering about the maf too, thanks for any info

You need to buy a MAF calibrated for running the 36# injectors. The curve on the stock maf's are the same it's the computer that makes the difference.

C&L Makes a Maf with removable sampling tubes so you can change injector sizes, tubes are about $40.

Pro-M makes one that is modified electronically to your injector size, but you have to send it in and pay $100

Here is some good reading.

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=113.topic

http://pub29.ezboard.com/fthunderbirdscenthusiastclubfrm13.showMessage?topicID=67.topic

Jeff

No. You need a new maf calibrated for using bigger injectors with your computer.

Look on Ebay you can buy a 76mm C&L for about $150. Look at the information in the links I provided that will tell you what sampling tube you need. Or buy a Pro-M, or Buy used it doesn't matter as long as it is set up for running the injectors you have for your car.

Jeff

thats what confuses me, wouldnt a 94 maf be calicrated for 36# injectors? the injectors in my 90 are from a 94, when i put the motor in i kept the motor alll complete with 94 stuff except for the dis, cam sensor and crank sensor, thanks for your time and sharing your knowledge with us

If you need a chip, I can burn you one that will correctly tell your computer what MAF you are running. It is ideal to have the computer know the right injector size, otherwise it will calculate volumetric effeciency wrong.

Ford MAF's aren't calibrated for injector size, they program injector values in the EEC. Aftermarket ones have to be to "cheat" the computer with the sample tube.

If you want info on a chip, e-mail me and I will direct you to someone that does tbird chips.
Brian
bjherron@telocity.com

Last edited:
The reason you can't swap the 94 MAF is because the EECs are not the same. You either need to get a MAF with the correct calibrations or fix the problem with a tuner or custom chip.

The MAF is probably the most important sensor on the engine, without the proper calibrations and transfer function your car will never run correctly.

David

Last edited:
Back