I'm baaAAaack:)

Rick Mink

Hey guys,
After a six year hiatus I am finally back and able to work on the T-bird again. She was last inspected 10 years ago and I'm really looking forward to getting her up and running and inspected again. It's very cool to have been gone so long yet still see a lot of the same players in the game.

I was lucky enough to have a long lost friend who is a certified mechanic come back into my life recently and he is helping me get the bird up and running again. I showed him my treasure trove stash of SC parts just waiting to be installed and we promptly set up a date this past weekend to work on her.

We planned on replacing the following parts: upper and lower controls arms, lowering springs, replacing the '89 spindles with +'93 spindles, 13" slotted/cross drilled rotors, PBR 2 piston calipers, '93 end links and classic tube stainless braided brake lines. Well as all things usually happen our weekend session became a one day event and the old rusty parts fought us coming out.

The old ball joints refused to let go of its nut and started to spin in the control arm on both sides. We got the nuts up high enough that we could cut the ball joint bolt off and free the lower control arms for removal. I wasn't really concerned about this at all until we realized that the new TRW control arms did not come with new nuts for the ball joints. All of our progress ended right there.

Does anyone have a part number or know the nuts specs, or have a serviceable pair they can give/donate/sell/loan/etc me so I can continue on??

Rick

The nut is a 16mm (opening) corse thread. I bought two 10.9 zinc plated torque nuts from boltdepot.com for a little more than a buck a piece. Fantastic place to do business with. I asked a question in the comment area of my order and they emailed me within the hour and within 2 hrs my order was shipped.

Rick

The nut is a 16mm (opening) corse thread. I bought two 10.9 zinc plated

Rick

Only bad thing about that is they will rust rather quickly and be just as much of a problem getting off if you have to replace ball joints again.

Probably should have went with either a stainless or hardened nut. Stainless wont rust, and the hardened nuts usually don't rust.

Back