broke my half shaft

scthunderbird

A couple of weeks ago i broke my halfshaft at the track at bristol. i installed a new one in it but i was wandering what i can do to prevent my 90 model t bird 5 speed car from doing this. it makes 331 hp and 391 tq. i was running street tires. do they make upgraded axles? will the 31 splin cobra axles fit if i change spindles and diff.

A couple of weeks ago i broke my halfshaft at the track at bristol. i installed a new one in it but i was wandering what i can do to prevent my 90 model t bird 5 speed car from doing this. it makes 331 hp and 391 tq. i was running street tires. do they make upgraded axles? will the 31 splin cobra axles fit if i change spindles and diff.
Get some bias ply ET Streets and never run street tires at the track. If you continue to run street tires or drag radials at the track you will continue to break axles. Next thing that will break is the transmission.

Cobra axles can be used but they are shorter and the part that breaks isn't really any stronger.

Ditto...

And if you feel the rear wheels hopping get out of the gas, you can't drive through it without things breaking.

What part of the axle broke?
In the past 1 1/2 years I've broke three axles at the outside stub.
Where the splines end.

I brought Drive Shaft Shop axles, (level 5).
325hp 329 tq. NA, 3800 stall converter, V8.

Also, 31 spline cobra axles have the same inner spline
diameter. Cobras have 31 and ours have 28 splines.

My cougar broke all three on launch with M/T radials.

Best time 12.06.

A couple of weeks ago i broke my halfshaft at the track at bristol. i installed a new one in it but i was wandering what i can do to prevent my 90 model t bird 5 speed car from doing this. it makes 331 hp and 391 tq. i was running street tires. do they make upgraded axles?.

Seen this? http://www.tccoa.com/articles/mn12how-to/irs/irs.html
Not sure if the parts linked are still available….the original mn12how-to page was put up some time ago, I think.

wow those are a lil outta my price range. i got another stock axle im trying to find a set of 15s and mickeys to put on the car now. id like to buy some before the shootout.

Find you a 1997 or 1998 Mark VIII and use the half-shafts out of it for a cheap replacement for an auto car.

Check out the group purchases forum. We r trying to get a group buy on a MUCH better cost alt to the DSS to solve the broken stub shaft problem!

The more we can get, the lower the cost.

Adam

Which side usually breaks? I haven't broken one before at the track and am thinking I should take a spare with me but not sure which side I should take. If I can just swap out the entire axle hub assembly I can do it in 30 mins. If I have to knock the broken piece out of the hub and reseat a new axle it could take awhile.

Back