Odd buck when pulling away from stop

kostaccio

I have been recently experiencing this weird buck/dead spot whenever pulling away from a stop or when I am moving slowly and heading uphill and give it more throttle to get up to speed. The first time it did this today was when I just started the car and was pulling out of the work parking lot. It stalled completely and when I went to try and start it, it was cranking really slow like it had a dead battery. I took the key out completely, put it back in, and it started like nothing had happened. It had this weird buck/dead spot issue happen 3 more times on my drive home. And it only bucks once when it does it. My car is a 90 SC with 54k original miles and to my knowledge all of the sensors under the hood are still the original as well as the plugs and wires. Does anyone know where I can start to look for an issue seeing I don't have a check engine light on?

Your ignition switch may be falling apart. I would check that first. You only need to remove the 2-piece column cover to check.

Your ignition switch may be falling apart. I would check that first. You only need to remove the 2-piece column cover to check.

What all should I be looking for? I should also note that the car occasionally has the hard to start issue and when it fires up puts a lot of black smoke out the tail pipes

What all should I be looking for? I should also note that the car occasionally has the hard to start issue and when it fires up puts a lot of black smoke out the tail pipes

If the white plastic part is coming apart from the gray metal part, you have a problem. Be careful, some of the wires are always "hot". Better to disconnect the battery before messing with it. But you may be able to tell by sight anyway.

Checked inside the column and nothing is broken. Seeing the symptom after the car stalled it seemed like it had a dead battery and was cranking slowly it almost seemed like a sensor is messed up. I have a new cam sensor in my car (I've had it for months) and thought about trying the TPS next. I just don't want it dying while I'm driving a major highway

Checked inside the column and nothing is broken. Seeing the symptom after the car stalled it seemed like it had a dead battery and was cranking slowly it almost seemed like a sensor is messed up. I have a new cam sensor in my car (I've had it for months) and thought about trying the TPS next. I just don't want it dying while I'm driving a major highway

Cranking slowly seems unlikely to have to do with a sensor. Maybe a bad connection at the starter relay on the fender, or at the starter itself. Or the negative battery cable or ground, perhaps.

I'll keep checking for the issue seeing it's been a few days since I have had any issues. I hate intermittent problems like this seeing it may be a while till it happens again

Back