Replacing stereo questions.

Giro

Hello, I have a 91 sc with the jbl audio system, and I want to replace the head unit. I've read some posts in regards to a bypass for the amp, but I'm still a little vague. Is there any way I can simply replace the head unit (the radio with the tape player), completely remove the factory cd player underneath, and still use the factory amps and speakers for now?

Thanks, that is helpful, however I want to eventually get rid of the entire stock system and install my own custom system, so I don't want to have to spend $54 ok that adaptor. I was hoping to cut the harness and hook up my new deck to the stock wires, I've read that some jbl amps have a low level input, so the signal coming out of the new deck might cause issues since it is a high level. Is this true? Or would it be safe to wire the deck straight to the amp?

Thanks, that is helpful, however I want to eventually get rid of the entire stock system and install my own custom system, so I don't want to have to spend $54 ok that adaptor. I was hoping to cut the harness and hook up my new deck to the stock wires, I've read that some jbl amps have a low level input, so the signal coming out of the new deck might cause issues since it is a high level. Is this true? Or would it be safe to wire the deck straight to the amp?

I thought the same thing and just ended up buying the adapter because I wanted it to still sound right and not risk damaging anything. It's cheaper on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-ROEM-FR...938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d3fed2a12 and you can just run new speaker wires to the speakers, use the amp in whatever deck you have to power them, and bypass the stock sub amp for now.

Well IF your removing the OEM system then get a EVTM or Helm/Chiltons and cut and solder--IMO the only way to make the connections. If your keeping the JBL unit then you need the adapter.

Even better, replace the speakers NOW (the satellites), and just run all new wiring to them for when you do the head unit.

Yes, you'll need the adapter to bypass the amp in the back if your new amp is only a high level output (no RCA jacks).

I'd also recommend new wiring because the wiring in the car now is not set up for much power to the amp in the back ... since it's for a low level signal.

RwP

If you just simply use the el cheapo harness (http://www.amazon.com/METRA-Premium-Sound-System-Harness/dp/B007W7RLXS) to adapt the Premium Sound harness plug to the harness that comes with the stereo, you will be fine.

Yes, the amp is expecting a low-power input. But the volume control will keep the levels down. The main downside is that the volume control will work in bigger "chunks". So it will get loud faster than usual. The sound quality may be a little less than it could be, but it's decent.

Leave everything else plugged in and working as normal.

One thing I would suggest is to test fit the pins of the adapter to the Premium Sound plug before you wire it all up. Some of the adapters have pins that are slightly too big, and they can wreck the (fragile, expensive, and unavailable) Ford connector if you force it. If that is the case, try popping the pins out and filing them a little thinner.

I had a JVC head unit working through the Premium Sound amp for years in my old '89.

I just bought a 90 cougar and there’s no radio in it a have one from my old sho I hooked everything up and it lights up works but I have no sound I pulled down the amp there power going in (12v) and 10v going out so the no sound issue I imagine is because the stock amp?

Back