To tow or not?

ricardoa1

Need some opinions about what I should do with making plans for the shootout.

I have two tow vehicles :rolleyes:, my lease Tacoma that did the job my last trip to carlilse, and while I was able to handle it with a car hauler from UHaul, I am not sure I trust my friend with my priceless possessions including my life. :confused: The Tacoma can handle it but its a little hairy around the curves and you need to be able to feel things by means of experience. :cool:

Option two is bring the familys (moms) TBSS, cough saab. That should take care of the tow capacity issues assuming my friend can hangle it, it should be alot safer for both IMO. Problem is the horrendous MPG I will encounter. Im thinking 12MPH with my SC on two on that overly heavy car hauler trailer. That will surely put a dent on the finances. :mad:

Third option bring the SC to the event by DRIVING. Something I thorougly enjoy, but should I be chancing a 26 hour? Im hoping to at least dyno the car to see if the car will at least make 300whp who knows maybe a little more Or even at least 1HP more than David Clarks MPXS Si set up :p . This will surely be the most economical way for me and most enjoable, unless the car decides to leave me stranded in KY.

Things to consider Jeff Bratton wants my super duper SVO hood for his ride. The best way is to trow it in the bed of the truck. Not sure if it will fit in the saab but it will be tight, but im sure I can make it work. Or I can just bolt it on the car and come back hoodless, that will get the cops attention, is that even illegal?

Both tow options will need a rental trailer in the $150-200 range. The toyota might save me $100 in fuel. I will estimate fuel to be $650-700 on the saab, maybe $500 on the toyotal. SC fuel costs maybe $350, But registration costs and insurance for 1-2months before the snow hits will offset the some of the savings.

Feeding the kids rice cerial for a month to go to the shootout....Priceless.

So is tow expenses worth the insurance of being stranded? I got to get my buddy home he needs to work the next day.

I can tell you it is illegal to drive without a hood in NJ, so I would check on that for all the states you have to drive through before you go, unless you can have someone bring you a stock hood they aren't using to install just to drive back home.

Nmcbchief could hook you up with a good deal on a stock hood! I'd trailer it myself I'm only two hrs away from the shootout and that's what I'm doing.. the uhual trailers sucks!! Waaaaaaay to heavy! I bought a brand new 18' car hauler this year for 1700$ and it only weighs 1800lbs I bet the uhual ones way close to 3000lbs. I towed the Sc in it to the street machine nationals and got 13mpg running 75mph I'd say that's pretty typical towing an sc

I don't really need another hood unless somebody has an early style cowl hood. Not the cobra r though.
Jeffs hood I think has damage on it maybe he won't care to trade, but I didn't ask.

Anybody had a sc stamped bumper that they want to sell?

This cal will likely go back to factory appearance.

I don't really need another hood unless somebody has an early style cowl hood. Not the cobra r though.
Jeffs hood I think has damage on it maybe he won't care to trade, but I didn't ask.

Anybody had a sc stamped bumper that they want to sell?

This cal will likely go back to factory appearance.

I doubt he would care - I'd ask! It would get you home without get in pulled over (well.....for being hood-less) and protect the engine from rain. If he still has the same hood, it is a little damaged and was from a cougar (has holes for the goofy chrome trim).

When trading, make sure you emphasize to him to....REMEMBER THE HOOD PINS. .....no reason, of course...... :p

I say tacoma and just take it easy with it. I would like to iron man my car too but I never have good luck with stuff like that. I welcome the challange on the dyno but you will have to be north of 370 to worry about pulling more than mine lol. I'm hoping mine cracks 400

I say tacoma and just take it easy with it. I would like to iron man my car too but I never have good luck with stuff like that. I welcome the challange on the dyno but you will have to be north of 370 to worry about pulling more than mine lol. I'm hoping mine cracks 400

I'll set lower expectations for mine. Seems to work well.

Two years ago the car should had done 350 with all the parts. But I only mustered 315 or something, all I know it was less than Iras with a double IC?

Anyways my cars are mules. I'd be surprised if all this work nets much. I do however hope for mid 12s even if I get my butt handed by Phil and his 399hp set up.

Yeah I here ya mine pulled right at 370 on the dream crusher and it wAs sick but honestly I know it has more in it. I really hope yours does well and it would be awsome if it pulled more than mine for all the hard work and sacrifice. I'm just glad your going to make it!

Need some opinions about what I should do with making plans for the shootout.

I have two tow vehicles :rolleyes:, my lease Tacoma that did the job my last trip to carlilse, and while I was able to handle it with a car hauler from UHaul,

I'm surprised that little truck can handle even that. You're looking at a 5-6k tow load hauling a SC with an open trailer. The tongue weight alone, depending on how those trailers get loaded could push you beyond a 600lb tongue weight. Anything over 400lb tongue the front tires get very light (esp with the smaller trucks) and it makes stopping and turning a little hairy.

I can tell you that I've towed an enclosed trailer, about 6k, 600lb tongue without a WD setup and it wasn't too pleasant, even on my full-size truck. I've since switched to a WD setup for anything over 300lb tongue. It just makes for a much more stable set-up...much less sway and a comfortable/predictable towing experience.

This truck has a long wheelbase and it helps a ton. It was not bad, the truck didn't get pushed or anything brakes is really the only issue and the rental ones have them. Power was no issue.

I'm comfortable with it, I just don't trust my friend. Panic stops are for the most part a no no..so you must calculate what's in front very carefully.

Registering the car might be the best alternative. Trailers for me are an insurance thing, this car hasn't been driven in a while and the new set up will.not be tested till I'm there. Typically in it scared.

I'm running out of close friends to ask to drive for 13 hours.

3 down 1 more that is on the fence. My wife refuses to go.

Jay you using your trailer? I have to be fresh and ask lol.
Don't mind me

If the toyota isnt a full size truck i wouldnt do it man! use the v8 suv it couldnt possibly be that much better on gas towing! Its hard to get any MPG pulling a heavy sc i average 13/14mpg with a 1/2 ton chevy truck pulling mine its not that bad considering paying a tow truck to go that far! having good brakes is well worth it!

IMO, these cars are a little heavy for even a half-ton full-size pickup. You'll never see me towing mine with my F150.

If you aren't racing, I'd drive the car there and back. Just put some road miles on the thing before the trip.

This truck has a long wheelbase and it helps a ton. It was not bad, the truck didn't get pushed or anything brakes is really the only issue and the rental ones have them. Power was no issue.

I'm comfortable with it, I just don't trust my friend. Panic stops are for the most part a no no..so you must calculate what's in front very carefully.

Registering the car might be the best alternative. Trailers for me are an insurance thing, this car hasn't been driven in a while and the new set up will.not be tested till I'm there. Typically in it scared.

I'm running out of close friends to ask to drive for 13 hours.

3 down 1 more that is on the fence. My wife refuses to go.

Jay you using your trailer? I have to be fresh and ask lol.
Don't mind me

Talk Mike Irving into making the trip with you. He's got a big truck I think. Tell him he needs an SC rejuvenation! Shot in the arm, so to speak.

IMO, these cars are a little heavy for even a half-ton full-size pickup. You'll never see me towing mine with my F150.

If you aren't racing, I'd drive the car there and back. Just put some road miles on the thing before the trip.

This is why i bought an 18' trailer i had a 16' trailer and it wasnt possible to load the SC in a way that you didnt have too much tounge wieght! I was going to buy a wieght distribution hitch but didnt need it. I can comfertably run 75mph on the interstate pulling the SC and can stop good too (trailer brakes FTW!) One thing that helps me is having 16" wheels on my truck i'm running 10 ply (if i recall! best big-o at they sell) and my f150 while it was a much better truck in many ways the 15" wheels SUCK!! 16" wheels make a truck feel SOOOOOOOOO much better with a heavy load! I used to pull a 30' travel trailer 8600lbs loaded! but i used a wd hitch and a friction sway bar. I could stop well and it handled well it just lacked power pulling that heavy box around!

This is why i bought an 18' trailer i had a 16' trailer and it wasnt possible to load the SC in a way that you didnt have too much tounge wieght!

I've been down that road. We ended up selling the 18' wood-decked car hauler and building a 18' steel deck trailer with an extended tongue, open center, electric brakes on both axles, long ramps, frenched side markers, etc. a couple years ago specifically for the Coug. But still, I won't risk the car behind my F150.

Back