Replacement Tail Light Housing

jjklongisland

Does know of a website that sells replacement taillights for my 89. Rustoleum is in the process of providing me a check for a set of replacement taillights since the clear they recommended had a reaction to their lense tint and turned my lights gray. I cant seam to find a legit replacement online. I only found a few ebay. They need a legit price quote.

thanks

I have a few sets....

Give me you "ship to" zip code and I'll quote you a price that includes shipping....

Does know of a website that sells replacement taillights for my 89. Rustoleum is in the process of providing me a check for a set of replacement taillights since the clear they recommended had a reaction to their lense tint and turned my lights gray. I cant seam to find a legit replacement online. I only found a few ebay. They need a legit price quote.

thanks

It's junkyard or nothing. You can try soliciting quotes on www.car-part.com.

They need a legit price quote.

If you need a 'business/supplier quote' perhaps Victor/SpinningWheels or Bill/SuperCoupePerformance can whip something official up that might help satisfy R'Oleum….I'd expect they'd have used t'lights, tho, so don't ignore the other offers in this thread :)

If you want a used pair that have already been black tinted, I have some boxed up that I decided to not run on the street.

1992+ taillights are a different shape from 89-91. I believe it is possible to convert if you get all 4 pieces.

Also, the non-SC taillights from 89-91 have a black strip at the bottom, unlike the red reflective strip on the SC taillights. So the taillights have to come from an 89-91 SC. (The Cougar XR7 may share the same outer corners, but the trunk reflector panels won't interchange.)

I'd suggest the Ford site and see what they say then. Either they can pay or find them for you, IMO.

I sprayed the lens tint and was a little disappointed with the finish. So I called rustoleum asking if I could wet sand them to get some of the orange peel to go away. The rep said to do so with 2000 grit and then hit them with rustoleum "Clear for Plastic". Thats exactly what I did and almost as soon as I applied the clear the lens tint started to turn gray and get cracked. I then said maybe it was from the wet sanding so I sprayed the light that I did not wet sand and that still reacted. I tried all solvents to remove the clear but am unsuccessful. My last resource is nail polish remover which is almost guaranteeing me to screw up the plastic finish on the housing. I should have just left them with the orange peel.

I sprayed the lens tint and was a little disappointed with the finish. So I called rustoleum asking if I could wet sand them to get some of the orange peel to go away. The rep said to do so with 2000 grit and then hit them with rustoleum "Clear for Plastic". Thats exactly what I did and almost as soon as I applied the clear the lens tint started to turn gray and get cracked. I then said maybe it was from the wet sanding so I sprayed the light that I did not wet sand and that still reacted. I tried all solvents to remove the clear but am unsuccessful. My last resource is nail polish remover which is almost guaranteeing me to screw up the plastic finish on the housing. I should have just left them with the orange peel.

I would recommend trying to wet sand all the clear and tint off and get back down to original plastic and a nice smooth finish. Then, if you decide to stay stock, try a headlight restoration sealer like the one in the kit from Sylvania. Or if you want to go dark, try your process again. You might get a little less orange peel if you take the taillights off the car and lay them horizontal.

I would recommend trying to wet sand all the clear and tint off and get back down to original plastic and a nice smooth finish. Then, if you decide to stay stock, try a headlight restoration sealer like the one in the kit from Sylvania. Or if you want to go dark, try your process again. You might get a little less orange peel if you take the taillights off the car and lay them horizontal.

I did have them off the car. I was nervous about runs so I went a little too light on the coats.

I think i would tint the clear coat then shoot and polish that. so sand that crap off and start over.

Ive had a similar reaction with rustoleum paints .. you put the finish coat over the original and the paint shrinks or cracks. It doesnt seem to bond well with other paints.

- Dan

If you do try and wet sand, Novus plastic polish is a lot cheaper than the kits. I got my bottles at the local Harley dealer.

Back