ABS swap - new Brake Booster problem

Melon

SCCoA Member
Got the old ABS unit out of the 90 today. Then I got looking at the new brake booster that's going in - it has 3 bolts that go through the firewall. The old unit had 4.

Did I order the wrong booster? Ordered it for a 91 5.0. Even if I had gone for a 90 3.8, the stock picture at Rock Auto, it looked the same.

you got the right part you just need to drill out the rubber in the 3rd hole, mine was really tough to get it through the firewall it took me about half a day by myself with nobody to push while i held the brake pedal bracket inline

Last edited:
!

Definitely a 2 person job after getting the Blind hole drilled. I put a large punch through the bottom hole to help keep everything lined up. Also hook a vacuum pump to the port on booster so you can compress the plunger and hold with vise grips. Gives you way more clearance!
IMG_20130525_114152_099_zpsaa3de372.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks guys.

I stopped to look and saw the holes mentioned. I haven't tried to line anything up to see which ones I'll have to drill, but feel better that I have the right parts :D

Thanks guys :cool:

Yet another new problem with the install.

Got fed up and had to walk away from the car for a bit...

Anyway, we've discovered there is a wiring harness or something that goes along the drivers side shock tower that wraps around and goes behind fender? And with it in the way, it's not allowing the booster to slide into the holes on the firewall. It's like the booster is too big? Has anyone else ran into that problem?

Thanks

my engine was out during install so it went in no prob. I here people remove all the plastic just above the booster that houses all the windshield wiper stuff. I pulled my booster from junkyard N/A and broke all that plastic to bits pulling it out.

Yep

I had the same issue with mine. I had to unclip the harness as best I could and pull it up and over to get mine in. It was a bitch. Or maybe I went under. I will take a look in the morning.

Yes, I remember that booster being the biggest pain. Did mine spring of 09. If I remember correctly I wished I had pulled the plastic cowling where the wipers are. It would have made moving that wiring so much easier. Plus, if you can get a buddy it will help. I did mine by myself and it was a Bear.

Here is where that harness now resides. Had to remover cowls and loosen/remove anything I could to force it up and over from it holding up the booster. A couple beers and some swearing help too.
IMG_20131116_123036_155_zps15f93f85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bringing this back from the dead.

The car has been in the shed for quite some time and been thinking about going at it again. Anyone have some insight on the wiring harness or some pictures of the harness and what they did with it? I'm not against putting ABS back in, but I have the parts for the non ABS so want to try again before I go back to factory.

Thanks

Back