Warped exhaust manifolds...

89XR7TD

SCCoA Member
Is this common after removing them from the head? I've seen some old post stating they have had to ream out a hole or two of the manifold to be able to bolt back up to the head and i'm thinking this is my current problem with the passenger side...

Is this common after removing them from the head? I've seen some old post stating they have had to ream out a hole or two of the manifold to be able to bolt back up to the head and i'm thinking this is my current problem with the passenger side...

Yes, that is not uncommon.

It's about that way with any car. They even have a special jig type tool for my Chevy truck with a 350sb because they warped so bad.

Had that happen ...

I had that happen on my '90 SC. The shop were we built the engine had a tool to put between the manifold runners. It moved them so they lined up with the bolt holes correctly. It had a hex shaped barrel with two threaded pieces on each end that could be turned with a wrench. The ends were half circles that went up against the manifold runners.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC modified
'90 auto SC stock

I had to heat one up and use a pry bar to get it to fit back on the block on my 90 when I changed the head gaskets with the motor in the car. It's irritating to say the least.

Tom I had one side that was really hard to get on so I just drilled all the holes out to the next size bigger so it woukdbt be such a ~~~~ to install them in the car! You can do it with a hand drill but be careful cast likes to grab I recommend using the clutch setting on you're drill because of this !

I had broken bolts in the head that I believe may have been due to this problem. I just drilled the holes larger also and. As Jacob warns, i tried to break my wrists a couple times in the process.

Chris

Just get out you're drill bits and find the one that's a match for
you're holes and go up 1 or 2 sizes it makes life so much easier
also grind more lead on you're manifold bolts makes it a lot easier to
get them started!!

I'll be replacing the pass side with a late model ported one....I may leave the driver side alone since as I was trying to loosen the nut on the bolt with the oil dipstick tube it was just bending and turning all at once and about to break.

Will that mess things up? Having a better flowing side than the other?

sorry for jacking a thread but i was think on doing the long tubes you can't beat it for the price IMO

i've got a set of mac shorty headers to put on my car, but i'm thinking i might just get these long tubes and make them fit.

Back