PDA

View Full Version : Interior Trim Restoration

jjklongisland
09-26-2013, 09:05 AM
As part of my quest for super coupe perfection, has anybody used an interior spray paint for the door panel switch plate trim. How does it last? How do I replicate the Window and door lock writing. I figured there was a decal you could purchase but I could not find them anywhere on the web. I am also thinking about spraying my center console. There is some slight staining and no matter what I use I cant get the slight color changes out of it.

Mercutio
09-26-2013, 09:17 AM
The spray-on bumper coating might work. That's what I'd try, anyway.

bumpskier45
09-26-2013, 09:31 AM
I Just redid my interior and paint works fairly well,the problem is you can see where those cracks are on your piece? you would have to smooth that out,I only say that because you said your looking for perfection,if you wanted to paint it as is make sure you use several coats of primer. On occasion I have seen some on thunderbirdscshop.com try there.I have one off my old interior that is in better shape then yours but its gray sorry. but check with ryan though at the place I mentioned above that is your best bet for used stuff.

bumpskier45
09-26-2013, 09:38 AM
http://www.thunderbirdscshop.com/Partspics/interior/dsh101.JPGed
the link above is the one I saw it looks pretty darn close to perfect for 30 dollars. Good luck.

bumpskier45
09-26-2013, 09:40 AM
if the link does not work for you just go to www.thunderbirdscshop.com go to parts,then to the supercoupe area,then to interior scroll down about three quarters of the way down you will see it.

jjklongisland
09-26-2013, 10:03 AM
The picture that was attached is not from my actual car. It was a pic I found online. Mine isnt that bad but not perfect and some attention to it would really clean up the car. I want to also paint all the interior screw heads. It drives be crazy they are not black...

What did you do for the decals?

MadMikeyL
09-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I've repainted them before, and it held up well, but it is all in the prep work. Any cracking needs to be sanded down to the metal underneath, then the whole piece scuffed up with a red scotch-brite pad, then spray some primer, then scuff again, and then I just painted it with regular black spray paint. Unfortunately I don't know a good way to re-do the lettering, so when I did that, the panel no longer had the lettering on it, but it still looked way better than what it was.

For the screw heads, paint will get scratched when you are re-installing them, so the easiest thing to do with that is just hit them with a sharpie after they are installed.

jjklongisland
09-26-2013, 10:33 AM
I've repainted them before, and it held up well, but it is all in the prep work. Any cracking needs to be sanded down to the metal underneath, then the whole piece scuffed up with a red scotch-brite pad, then spray some primer, then scuff again, and then I just painted it with regular black spray paint. Unfortunately I don't know a good way to re-do the lettering, so when I did that, the panel no longer had the lettering on it, but it still looked way better than what it was.

For the screw heads, paint will get scratched when you are re-installing them, so the easiest thing to do with that is just hit them with a sharpie after they are installed.

Thanks for the advise. There must be some decal kit available. How do the interior places restore interior panels on old cars. I just keep coming up short on the searches.

jjklongisland
09-26-2013, 10:51 AM
This a great video. I am planning on doing this to all my interior panels so when I recover the seats and new carpet it will look brandy new...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD1QqO5ZfAM

09-26-2013, 11:35 AM
There is practically nothing made for our cars. i go to an automotive paint supply and get my paint.

MadMikeyL
09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
The problem is they are way too small to make as a sticker. They are originally silk-screened on there, which is great if you are churning out thousands of them, but it would take a lot of time to make the setup for that, and there would have to be a separate one "window", "door lock", and "mirror", so you are talking about investing major time in that just to produce just a few panels.

09-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Ya there has to be a market.

jjklongisland
09-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Ya there has to be a market.

The supercoupe is not the only cars with text on the door trim. I am sure there are alot of automobiles, dashes, gauge and switch restoration where there is text. When I do a plastic model they have the decals that you wet and dry clear. There has to be a interior restoration supplier that caries a variety of decals such as this.

KMT
09-26-2013, 12:06 PM
Decals…

http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/

jjklongisland
09-26-2013, 12:58 PM
Decals…

http://www.pulsarprofx.com/decalpro/

your the man!!! :cool:

sc91gt
09-26-2013, 01:31 PM
I am doing the same to mine. No matter how many I buy, they are all not perfect. I am bringing one into work to see if we can make a stencil to spray the lettering back on after painting. I will start a thread when I get it right.And will only charge shipping, but donations are accepted. :D
Thanks for the advise. There must be some decal kit available. How do the interior places restore interior panels on old cars. I just keep coming up short on the searches.

09-26-2013, 01:52 PM
If you want to restore its quite the job, but then its no camaro and part hunting is fun.

jjklongisland
09-26-2013, 02:34 PM
I am doing the same to mine. No matter how many I buy, they are all not perfect. I am bringing one into work to see if we can make a stencil to spray the lettering back on after painting. I will start a thread when I get it right.And will only charge shipping, but donations are accepted. :D

Hey, if you can get a stencil to work good with the small font than I am down. I will definitely provide you with a kind donation.

If not I was thinking of maybe buying the kit that was previously linked for $100. I have a laminator and real good printer at work. If I printed out the text and made dry decals for it I would also take some donations and try and offset the cost of the kit. I am sure I can get at least 100 decals out of that kit.

sc91gt
09-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I am in Ireland working till next fri. I have been trained on our stencil maker. When I get back I will take some measurements and see what I can do. I think It will be good. I will do up a set and post a few pics. see if people like.