Clutch Linkage Problems

BlckbirdSC

I've got a 91 SC 5spd with a tempramental clutch. On the clutch pedal, there is a rod that goes from the master cylinder to the clutch pedal, and attaches via a plastic retainer clip. Well, the linkage popped off the clutch pedal (which is a real surprise when you are coming to a toll booth and need to stop) and therefore I couldn't press my clutch in. I took out the platic retaining clip, which was basically cracked into about 3 pieces, and replaces it with the _$6.00_ clip from Ford. Thought that would solve everything, but it still will not stay on the pedal, and its giving me a bunch of grief trying to drive in downtown traffic. Anyone else had this problem? Suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Had the same problem with my sc and my friends drill a hole in the pin coming off the pedal around the ball on the end and put a retaining pin in I did this on mine about 2 months ago and to my friends before driving it back to Chicago from South Carolina. My not be the best fix but it will hold

I MacGuiver'd a zip tie in the groove on the pin to keep the pedal on as I was charged over $18.00 for the plastic clip.

I now have a clip but this reminds me to make a brass bushing for this then I can drill it and use a proper pin.

Sean

Since this thread has already been resurrected after almost 10 years, I'll pipe in too;). I couldn't even get a clip. When I had it converted from an auto to a 5 speed, he used a zip tie. That snapped a month or so later. I replaced it with a single zip tie and it broke a couple months later. At that point I used 2 zip ties to fix it. I put one of them diagonally around the rod and clutch pedal arm. I put the other one a little more loosely around the whole assembly. It's been fine for the last 6 years or so.

Since this thread has already been resurrected after almost 10 years,

Well that's just plain embarrassing. :eek: That's what I get for not looking at the date of the first post.

Still need to put in that brass bushing though.

Sean

Don't feel bad I'm the one that brought it back up. And the 2 zip tie idea I did and it lasted a month, however I have a stage 2 clutch

LOL, don't feel bad. If I had a dollar for all the times I've replied to a thread before realizing how old it was, I'd be a lot less broke than I am now. Personally, I've found some of the most helpful things on the oldest threads. A couple times the only place I found my exact problem was in an old thread. I posted an addendum to the original question and received a specific answer with exactly how to solve my problem as the original poster had already fixed it.
:D

Don't feel bad I'm the one that brought it back up. And the 2 zip tie idea I did and it lasted a month, however I have a stage 2 clutch

Mine is a stock clutch, so I'm sure the pedal pressure is a bit less.

I've heard of someone drilling a hole through the end of the rod and using a cotter pin to hold it in place.

I've also heard of someone using a "stop Collar" similar what you might find fastened on a drill to control depth (basically a thick ring or "washer" that can be tightened with an allen screw, locking it in place).

I just used a small hose clamp and a club members smaller arms and hand to reach under there and tighten it. Been that way for over a year now. ;)

I just used a small hose clamp and a club members smaller arms and hand to reach under there and tighten it. Been that way for over a year now. ;)

LOL, I didn't have that option. Just me trying to quirm my way under the dash to actually see what I was doing, which was quite a challenge as I was even bigger then than I am now.

I haven't been on the boards in quite some time and it is refreshing to see that the "Brother (and sister) hood comraderie is still very much present.

Well that's just plain embarrassing. :eek: That's what I get for not looking at the date of the first post.

Still need to put in that brass bushing though.

Sean

I'd love to hear how it works out and which solution wound up working best for you.

Last edited:
Well I know this is an old thread, but I had the same problem, and I feel like I did a pretty permanent solution, maybe even better than the original ford solution :D I used an oiled brass bushing to replace the plastic clip. I just filed down the rod that goes from the pedal back round and put the bushing on that, drilled the hole that it goes through back to round and put the bushing through there, and then put a cotter pin through it to hold it in place. Doesn't squeak, drip, slip out, or anything. In fact, the clutch has never been smoother. Here's a link to my original thread.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112914

I have not had an issue with it since I drilled the hole and put the Cotter pin in but I still need to change the bushing

Back