Steel idler pulleys ...

WhiteThunder

Has anyone here used the steel idler pulleys in the attached photo? I have all three off. When I tighten up the bolt, the pulley is binding against the tensioner arm and won't turn.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC modified
'90 automatic SC stock

Attachments

• IMG_3030.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 66
i never used steel pullys but should work unless the offset is different or pully needs flipped over or spacer is missing

The two black pulleys are the stock plastic ones. The silver one looks like an aluminum aftermarket pulley. There is supposed to be a type of pulley mount, or "raised" washer, that the bolt buttons up to in the stock application. The bolt, when torqued down, applies pressure on the steel washer, rather than the bearing itself, so the pulley can spin freely. I don't know the actual name of this part. But I don't see it in your photo, and missing that washer could cause the problem your describing. I have the steel idler pulley set from SCP and it has worked fine for years.

Last edited:
You're right ...

The two black pulleys are the stock plastic ones. The silver one looks like an aluminum aftermarket pulley. There is supposed to be a type of pulley mount, or "raised" washer, that the bolt buttons up to in the stock application. The bolt, when torqued down, applies pressure on the steel washer, rather than the bearing itself, so the pulley can spin freely. I don't know the actual name of this part. But I don't see it in your photo, and missing that washer could cause the problem your describing. I have the steel idler pulley set from SCP and it has worked fine for years.

Yes, they are aftermarket pulleys. It appears that there needs to be some sort of shim that would go on first - over the threaded tensioner arm pole that would keep the steel pulley from binding against the tensioner arm.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC modified
'90 automatic SC stock

Back