Finished the stereo install (a few pics)

jjklongisland

So this past weekend I finished my stereo install. I installed a Kenwood Excellon series head unit, upgraded my 4 interior speakers with Helix Esperit 5x7's, upgraded all speaker wire, ran a new 4 gauge power wire to a distribution block with 8 gauge going to each amp which is a 500 watt Alpine mono for my 10" Boston sub and a 40 watt x 4 going to my interiors. This think sounds awesome. I mounted the amps to a raised carpeted board to conceal all the wires and drilled holes in the board to bring the wires through. I think it looks very professional and clean. The photos are without my side covers for the amps since I am missing one cover for the amp in the rear. They are on order. The Helix's sound incredible. Very loud and crisp with virtually no distortion and any sound volume. The sub has plenty of bass and I am convinced that a single 10 in a box that was built by the manufacturer can sound better than 2 speakers installed in a regular box.

Now she sounds Angry!

I just love the way the back of that car looks. Nice job on the install too! Sorry I couldn't get out last weekend. We do need to get together some time soon though.

Ira

Nice job at taking your time on the wiring. Just organizing your wires go do so much to clean things up. I also agree, a single 10 can pound pretty hard.

Not bad…for a start :) I'd wonder if the amps would cool better if not mounted horizontally, tho. Maybe if you kicked them up at an angle on the back edge like this: \ \

You know you want another 10", tho…

Attachments

• SC_Subs01.jpg
    SC_Subs01.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 98
  • SC_Subs02.jpg
    SC_Subs02.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 117
  • SC_Subs03.jpg
    SC_Subs03.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Not bad…for a start :) I'd wonder if the amps would cool better if not mounted horizontally, tho. Maybe if you kicked them up at an angle on the back edge like this: \ \

You know you want another 10", tho…

That is also very nice... I am one of those dorks that read instructions and every one I have read for an amp says to always mount them flat due to cooling etc. I agree they look better horizontally.

And Ira, thanks.... What are you doing Sunday. I should be around all day...

Nothing wrong with dorking the docs ;) The docs for the Rockford-Fosgate 240.4 I run say vertical, but the fins run different from your Alpines. I think in your case they'd look neat stacked/angled a bit, but that's just me. I like the idea of mounting them on a box like that to deal with wiring, etc.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with dorking the docs ;) The docs for the Rockford-Fosgate 240.4 I run say vertical, but the fins run different from your Alpines. I think in your case they'd look neat stacked/angled a bit, but that's just me. I like the idea of mounting them on a box like that to deal with wiring, etc.

That would be real cool... I might have to think about that. Could be another cool weekend project...

Last edited:
That is also very nice... I am one of those dorks that read instructions and every one I have read for an amp says to always mount them flat due to cooling etc. I agree they look better horizontally.

And Ira, thanks.... What are you doing Sunday. I should be around all day...

Sunday... hmmm let's see. Oh right, I'll be in Clay City KY drinkin' some home made with my buds and crying about the fact that I'm not racing!! ;)

Ira

Nice job! Looks great. I ran a single JL 10W3 in a JL Power Wedge box in the Mark VIII. Sounded great and didnt feel the need for more. Doesnt take up you entire trunk either.

Back