Looking for more power

wiSC

I have a 1998 Mustang 5-speed with a stock 1989 XR7 motor. I've recently got into using my car for autox and some smaller HPDE events. I have a couple of issues.

1. Since the 3.8 SC motor was never available in a 94-04 mustang, I get stuck in the "Street Modified" class for autox. For those of you that don't know autox, that is the top class where pretty much anything goes. I really don't plan on going to nationals any day, so this isn't a HUGE concern.

2. The 3.8 SC setup in my car currently has a stock intercooler and no oil cooler. My car's intake temps and oil temps quickly get out of hand. The car also is lacking some serious power. I am getting eaten alive by the LS1 camaro guys on faster courses.

I am looking to get into the 300-350hp range. I am considering buying a wrecked 03-04 Mach 1 or an 01 Cobra to swap the engine, wiring harness, transmission, etc on to my car. A really nice donor car can be had for ~$3,500-$4,000. If I go this route, I can get into a "Street Prepared" class, which will class me with much more comparable cars and I'll actually have a competitive car (again, not super important to me)

If I can get 4.6L DOHC power out of my 3.8 SC for much cheaper than buying a donor car (and keep my intake and oil temps under control), I would definitely consider going that route. I know there really isn't a set list of parts required to reach the 300-350hp range, but can you help me get a parts list together that'll get me in that general power range? I really love the uniqueness of my 3.8 SC mustang, but I need more power and I need to get these intake and oil temps under control in order to keep my setup. I am going to start with an 8" 2,400 CFM intercooler fan and a Hayden oil cooler.

Looking for stuff like "you'll need XXlb injectors" or "you'll need an MPx blower with XX% overdrive pullies" or "you'll need a XXmm MAF" or "you'll need a XXmm throttle body" etc...

Sorry for being long winded, thanks for the help in advance!

And just because pictures are fun...here is my 3.8 SC mustang in action!
v7fgn7.jpg

2w7lu2t.jpg

Last edited:
The only reason to stay with the 3.8 is to be able to say you have something different. If you want fast and reliable, get the Cobra engine.

in the second pic it looks like you have alot of body roll... do you have any kind of bolt on on your car?

I'll take a picture of the engine bay tomorrow morning. As for suspension, I have the 2001 Mustang GT Bullitt shocks, struts, and swaybars. I have H&R Super Sport springs and Maximum Motorsports C/C plates. Running -2.5 camber, +4.5 caster, and 0 toe with Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 265/40/17s. I don't find my suspension to be a limiting factor at this point.

I think spinning wheels or supercoupe perfomance has 300hp kit not sure how steep the price is though

Well if you stay 3.8 than you need DIC (course should be short enough that it will be ok), MPX/Plenum, 85mm TB (SCP power pack #1) and vavle train redone by Dave (Heads, rockers, cam, intake, pushrods, and lifters) and I would guess 60# injectors plus tune of course, a Lighting MAF, and at least a 255LPH fuel pump.

Should cost about the same as your donor car price, but IMO would be less work.

I am by no means an expert, but if you are even close in budget to doing your cobra swap vs. building your 3.8, building the 3.8 would probably prove a better option just because you would know exactly what you have and what shape its in, rather than an unknown motor.

!

I agree. I see alot of body roll. My 91 stang has eibach springs, sway bars, Poly everthing, KYB agx adjustables, torque box reinforced, subframe connectors, Hotchkis caster, camber kit, control arms... And it handles awesome. Dont get me started on the brakes... Oil cooler and better IC would help other than suspension....
in the second pic it looks like you have alot of body roll... do you have any kind of bolt on on your car?

Back