The old manual trans fluid question

dkmac

After a long 4 years I have finally picked up another 94 SC with a 5spd. I am so happy to be back. Now for the question, I have done some extensive research on her for the best trans fluid to use. Right now my trans is not grinding, but it is very notchy in between gears so I feel it is time to change the fluid since has never been changed with 175k miles on it. I have seen that Redline, Pensoil Synchromesh, and Royal Purple Synchromax are among the best, of course with Ford's Friction Modifier. Now I am partial to Royal purple becuase it has always done me good, so I am trying to get some feedback to if this is advisable and good solution for a fluid change. Thank you in advance for your help. Take care.

my car seemed like it came with atf so i always tried to use good atf like mercon v but i think the manual says if it seems noisy use heavier fluid like 30 or 80 weight

I use pennzoil syncromesh in these, it quiets them down and already has friction modifier in it, atf seems to wear out too fast IMO.
Alan

I've always used Mercon V(I believe it's what it is), I dont recall putting a friction modifier in it tho. I've never had any problems with that fluid. Doesn't seem noisy and I've had no problems shifting or engaging gears, always nice and smooth.
When I bought my 95 f150 some guy put 80-90wt gear lube in it, It didn't likely be shifted until warmed up.

your supposed to run mercon atf you can run gear oil but wouldnt suggest if you live in a area where it gets cold it will do more harm than anything else and why would you add friction modifier to your tranny thats made for the clutches in lsd differentials

Well yesterday I went ahead and put 3qrts of Royal Purple's Synchromax along with 3oz of Ford's friction modifier in the trans. Took it out for a spin an noticed a greatly improved shifting quality; however, when I was draining the old fluid I noticed a couple of chunks of metal bands stuck to the drain plug and it immediately hit me what it was. I noticed that the shifter was very sloppy, when I was putting in fluid I decided to fill it through the shifter housing and of course when I removed the shifter, the upper retainer ring was completely gone because it was in the bottom of the trans. Now it does ~~~~ much smoother, but every now and then I get a slight bump grind when I am trying to hit the gears just while shifting. It is time for a new B&M STS, I am sure once I replace that it will completely clean up my shift points since I wont have to feel for the sweet spots in between gears. I will keep you all posted with how the fluid performs, especially after I replace my shifter. Take care.

your supposed to run mercon atf you can run gear oil but wouldnt suggest if you live in a area where it gets cold it will do more harm than anything else and why would you add friction modifier to your tranny thats made for the clutches in lsd differentials
Syncromesh was specifically designed as manual transmission lubricant.
Alan

however, when I was draining the old fluid I noticed a couple of chunks of metal bands stuck to the drain plug and it immediately hit me what it was. I noticed that the shifter was very sloppy.

There is a shifter rebuild kit for the f150 on ebay, which has new bushings you can use also. It will work on the SC. You have to drill an extra hole in the cover, but its no big deal. :cool: Makes a big difference in the feel.

Last edited:
autozone and to be honest they both appear to be the same only the pennzoil stuff is half the price.
Alan

Yep Autozone. I used the Penzoil stuff in mine and added a bottle of off the shelf friction modifier. That and the new clutch components has made all the difference in the world on shifting.

Back