Problems with IRMC

HwyStar

My first two cars, I never had problems with a IRMC. But, now the current car...I had one go bad in it, fixed problems. Sent it off for a exchange unit from Standard Motor. Installed that one, retested everything fine. And now here I am on the side of the road waiting for the wife to bring a crusty old reliable module. Anyone else have lots of problems with these modules?

BadIRCM.jpg

Ok...Ive never had a problem with Standard Motor Parts. This is a first...normally their parts are great. Im not bad mouthing them either, because they have a top notch training program as well. Me and some guys go to their seminars regularly.

Im glad this wasnt a customers car. After I got home I put the new module on the tester, and it was cooked. I know there are some people that worked for Ford here...does it matter which vehicle the IRCM comes from? Or, are they really all the same? I probly should have tested the module before putting on the car and I would have known. But, can these change the identity code when they burn? All was good at first when I put it on last night with no problems. When my wife met me on the side of the road, I popped in the crusty old module that had been out in the weather for 3 years, and the car fired right up. Used the AC and drove all over with no problems...

Has anyone tried a IRCM from another model of car succesfully?

The only IRCM problem I ever had was to do with heat sink compound. A while back, I spoke with Bill Evanoff and he said that they do fail. One of these days I plan to use my new found circuit board repair skills to try to install new relays in the one in the linked article even though it passed my IRCM tester test.

I would assume that there is a reason the IRCM tester confirms which vehicle it is used in. From my research, it appears that the electronics is different for some models (see the links in my article above).

Another thing I noticed is that the tester recommends you inspect and fix the areas that failed. Maybe you have another issue with your car and that IRCM found it?
:confused:

Not sure what the deal is to be honest. I havent found ripple, bad power, or ground. The first time I found a bad ground at a splice, fixed it. Pretty much ran a old IRCM with no problems. Poltergeist maybe?

Doing a different setup sounds good to me...

The tester detects wich application module its testing. Part of whats got me confused...

I tested the module Im using now and it did come up as a 3.8sc passing.

- Yes, it matters what car the module comes from. Some cars have more relays inside than others. The SC doesn't use all the pins in the connector. Obviously, if you swap an IRCM with no fuel pump relay into a car that requires it, the fuel pump won't run. Other, more subtle, effects pop up, too. For example: I have been running a non-SC Thunderbird IRCM for a little while (long story). Everything on my SC works great, including the cooling fan. Unfortunately, even though there are enough relays inside for the SC, the operation of the AC clutch relay on the later cars is not exactly the same as on the SC. What that means is that the relay stays energized at all times and drains my battery if I let the car sit for more than a day or so. But in other respects, the car works great.

- There's no way to "re-code" an IRCM. There's no memory or anything inside, just pieces and parts. If you want to modify its operation, solder will be involved.

- What was the problem with the SMP reman IRCM? Car just stopped running?

- What ground did you fix and when? Was it the small ground connection that sprouts from the negative battery cable clamp?

- In the picture of your IRCM tester, are you sure the module is plugged in all the way to the tester connector? It looks loose. Maybe the picture is just deceptive.

- That tester is a very old model, which is why there are only 6 applications listed. It won't work on later model IRCMs (or at least it's not guaranteed to work, though applications vary as mentioned above).

- Have you tested the tester with an IRCM tester tester? ;)

Hummm... I did not see the picture until now...

My IRCM tester has the same six applications. Now I wonder if it is only good for 89-90 SC's?

To test you first press the "reset" then the "start test" button.

My IRCM tester had a location to sent it out for testing/ repair. But I am sure the repair will cost more than the tester.

If you can, return the IRCM. It appears they gave you the wrong IRCM for the application and you car fried it because it was wrong.
:mad:

Yeap, thats what Im thinking. Im not sure how they got the parts confused, like I said, they are usually excellent at what they do. Thats why I was wondering if there was some kind of identifier in the module. Just like you, everything worked fine for a day. Then, the fan quit, next the car. Yeap, made sure the connection was tight, and it still has the instructions glued to the inside of the case. Looks almost as if the tester was never used. Its pretty much new, and has cal void if sticker broken in two places. I also just picked up a Passive Restraint tester for 30.00 shipped! Now that one looks like its been used.

I was thinking about the Passive Restraint tester but not sure how useful it is. Instead I picked up Anti-Lock Diagnostic Adapter # T87P-50-ALA since I still have ABS. Like to hear your thoughts after you get the passive restraint tester.
:)

After fooling with the switches for some time I could see how it would have saved time if I had put this tool on from the start. Dont know if you have seen a picture of it, but you can control the two restraints with the tool. Lets you know if you have good hot and ground, switch positions. Also, it is a break out at the same time. If I do work on another car with passive restraint problems again, that will be the first thing I do.

HwyStar - what's the part # on that passive restraint tester? I may need to go looking for one myself ...

RwP

Rotunda 007-00034
The seller I got mine from said he had two, one of which I bought. His ebay name was 5hunter

I just purchased a passive restraint tester. But It was from a different seller. The one HwyStar purchased plus shipping to my area was over $30 so I purchased a less expensive one at $29.39, shipping included.

I think I just caught the HwyStar virus!!! :) :eek:

I just reached my limit for a week or two with a Super Star II tester. :eek: That is, unless I can find a deal on a 021-00055 Instrument Gauge System Tester. Been having fuel gage issues and this would do the trick...
:confused:

Back