PDA

View Full Version : Back from the Shootout

ALS35
10-07-2013, 07:10 PM
What a weekend. Drove most of the way there in the pouring rain, sometimes of biblical volumes.
Checked in then washed the car.
I was the only one there from Canada. I had a chair with me that was a Canadian flag. It broke and colapsed while I was sitting in it on Friday night. Only damaged the chair.
The car show on saturday was really good. the weather was great and the dyno was working all day long.
I pulled 334 HP and 347 lbft so I was happy. Others that were expecting big numbers were disappointed and blamed the dyno.
On sunday we all went to the track and the pits were busy with prep. They called up the time trials and laid out a shortened program because the weather was moving toward us.
I was fourth in line, did a good burnout, cut a not to bad reaction time and then my car puked its guts out about 100' down the track.
I blew a frost plug out of the block an the drivers side. Had I undersatood what had happened I should have stopped. I spread my 2 gallons of antifreeze all the way to the end. The car is not hurt but it took a long time to clean up because the only way to get it gone from the pavement is to burn it of with a huge propane torch. A whole 1/4 mile.
Now, here is the best part about the Shootout. People stepped up to help me out right away. I was whisked off to the parts store in the next town after someone had found that it was open on Sunday. They asked over the PA if anyone had parts with them before I went to the store.
I got the parts and help that I needed to fix my problem and fixed it before the track guys had finished with the clean up.
I didn't race after that as I thought it would be better to not temp any of the angier SC gods.
The car worked great all the way home never got hot and hasn't leaked a drop since the fix.
I made a 13.55 with no traction and fighting for control. I'm just happy the car didn't decide to turn into the wall.
The announcer in the booth said that he has been involved with drag racing for 12 years and has never seen a freeze plug blow out. Nobody else had either.
I wasn't the only one that broke. My failure was a minor inconvenience compared to the others.
Two cars broke axles and one of those broke the diff at the same time.
One car had a heater hose let go just before he stagged.
There was also a MK VIII that exploded the torque converter when he powered up fo the burnout. That was spectacular and also very messy.
Dave N had multiple problems with his turbo car. The battery died at the starting line. He blew a rocker cover gasket and when he got back to the pit the oil leak caught on fire. No damage but high pucker factor.
Brian Oatway got his axle fixed and made anothe pass in about an hour.
All in all it was a great weekend with a great bunch of people.
Alan

J dot Miller
10-07-2013, 07:32 PM
...I had a chair with me that was a Canadian flag. It broke and colapsed while I was sitting in it on Friday night. Only damaged the chair...

Don't feel bad. Take it from me, I get a new one every year! I doubt it was a weight thingie? They do no make them chairs the way they used to...
:eek:

shoalcracker
10-07-2013, 08:04 PM
Always nice to know that when the scary happens ...

Everybody jumps in to help.

Glad you made it home after a big boom.

Even better, you live to race another day.;)

Paul

PS The only chair you trust is the one with the wheel to hang onto.

91bird
10-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Sounds like a great time anyway Al, sorry I missed another one. It says a lot about the group of guys to help you and everyone else out. Glad you made it back ok. Are you still planning on going to the track on the 18th?

Drew

ALS35
10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Sounds like a great time anyway Al, sorry I missed another one. It says a lot about the group of guys to help you and everyone else out. Glad you made it back ok. Are you still planning on going to the track on the 18th?

Drew

I am planning on going to the track on the 18th. Dave Dalke told me that the freese plug I put in should be considered permanent because dropping the K member at this point is not an option. Or I could pull the engine which I also don't care to do at this point. As I told everyone at the track, 'It's well patched'. Hasn't leaked a drop since the repair and I drove it 900 km to get home.
Alan

Jacob_Royer
10-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Glad you made it back ok thats a long haul! take the dyno numbers and add 30hp :) lol my numbers where beyond dissapointing lol BTW i ran one of those rubber freeze plugs in my old truck for 200k+ never had a problem

What a weekend. Drove most of the way there in the pouring rain, sometimes of biblical volumes.
Checked in then washed the car.
I was the only one there from Canada. I had a chair with me that was a Canadian flag. It broke and colapsed while I was sitting in it on Friday night. Only damaged the chair.
The car show on saturday was really good. the weather was great and the dyno was working all day long.
I pulled 334 HP and 347 lbft so I was happy. Others that were expecting big numbers were disappointed and blamed the dyno.
On sunday we all went to the track and the pits were busy with prep. They called up the time trials and laid out a shortened program because the weather was moving toward us.
I was fourth in line, did a good burnout, cut a not to bad reaction time and then my car puked its guts out about 100' down the track.
I blew a frost plug out of the block an the drivers side. Had I undersatood what had happened I should have stopped. I spread my 2 gallons of antifreeze all the way to the end. The car is not hurt but it took a long time to clean up because the only way to get it gone from the pavement is to burn it of with a huge propane torch. A whole 1/4 mile.
Now, here is the best part about the Shootout. People stepped up to help me out right away. I was whisked off to the parts store in the next town after someone had found that it was open on Sunday. They asked over the PA if anyone had parts with them before I went to the store.
I got the parts and help that I needed to fix my problem and fixed it before the track guys had finished with the clean up.
I didn't race after that as I thought it would be better to not temp any of the angier SC gods.
The car worked great all the way home never got hot and hasn't leaked a drop since the fix.
I made a 13.55 with no traction and fighting for control. I'm just happy the car didn't decide to turn into the wall.
The announcer in the booth said that he has been involved with drag racing for 12 years and has never seen a freeze plug blow out. Nobody else had either.
I wasn't the only one that broke. My failure was a minor inconvenience compared to the others.
Two cars broke axles and one of those broke the diff at the same time.
One car had a heater hose let go just before he stagged.
There was also a MK VIII that exploded the torque converter when he powered up fo the burnout. That was spectacular and also very messy.
Dave N had multiple problems with his turbo car. The battery died at the starting line. He blew a rocker cover gasket and when he got back to the pit the oil leak caught on fire. No damage but high pucker factor.
Brian Oatway got his axle fixed and made anothe pass in about an hour.
All in all it was a great weekend with a great bunch of people.
Alan

David Neibert
10-14-2013, 04:40 PM
Alan,

Glad to hear it was just the freeze plug and not an underlying problem like a leaking HG. It was nice visiting with you, and I hope to see more of the Canadian guys next year....especially the guy with the SCU TVS blower kit.

David