Rear deck speakers - how to get at 'em?

MansonOzz

I'm a new SC owner so I'm not too familiar with them yet. Rather than starting rip everything apart, can anyone tell me how to get at my rear deck speakers in my '90 so I can replace them?

No speakers are located in the rear deck except for the subwoofer on a JBL Premium Sound System. The rear speakers are located in the side panels behind the covers. The entire assembly pops off and the speaker is behind it.

The only way that you would have speakers in the rear deck is if someone customized the deck and installed them there.

Bob

Robert Kohlman said:
No speakers are located in the rear deck except for the subwoofer on a JBL Premium Sound System. The rear speakers are located in the side panels behind the covers. The entire assembly pops off and the speaker is behind it.

The only way that you would have speakers in the rear deck is if someone customized the deck and installed them there.

Bob

Ah, then I have a blown sub in my Premium SS. Do I get at them by folding the rear seats down or by taking the top of the rear deck off? Also, do you know what size they are?

Thanks!

If the subwoofer is blown you can replace it with a 6 1/2" woofer of your choosing. You have to unbolt it from underneath in the trunk. I think that there are three bolts holding it in place. You can open up the box and replace the woofer. Make sure that you seal the enclosure back up with some sort of caulking.

The sub in my JBL system was blown and the person that had the car before me replaced it with a kicker comp woofer. I didn't replace it but if you are the least mechanically enclined you can do it pretty easy.

The doors and the side panels have a 5"x7" cutout.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Last edited:
Being that *I* am the previous owner :D, I probably should have fixed that sooner, but I really never played the radio much.

Go in through the trunk, there are 3 bolts holding the whole mess up (I think you need deep sockets, they were on studs if I recall), and unclip the harnesses.

The owner before me had installed some crazy system in there and you'll see the wiring to the sub box is a little hacked, so don't get scared. I never actually checked his connections, so once you get everything out, you might want to double check all the wiring.

Otherwise, how do ya like the car? After driving around my replacement Neon, I can say I sure miss the power, lol...

Back