Time to do the rockers

whitebird93

Since im taking a break from work i thought i might tackle this project. When i took the side skirts off there was little to nothing left. Im surprised the skirts even stayed attached. These pics were from after i took a hammer to the rockers to get rid of everything. I could put my finger through most of the rockers and it all just crumbled into my hand.

Tbird 1.jpg

Tbird 2.jpg

Tbird 3.jpg

Tbird 4.jpg

Tbird 5.jpg

I was going to say WOW look at all that rust :eek:

But it appears you have the situation well under control !!! Nice work !!!

are you just going to weld in filler and cover it with the ground effects? That would be the cheapest way. I needed to do this to my other car, but it has some electrical gremlin and won't run so I'm just gonna part it out and put the engine and trans in my other 90.

Wow, and you r in LA? I thought rust was something you guys had never seen, that car looks like it came from Ohio! I am heading out to the garage right now to do the same on my '90 cougar, from the doors back, but all three walls of the rocker (inner, outer, and center) had issues. Damn Ford for spraying that expanding foam crap into the rockers for NVH:mad:

Adam

The car is originally from Chicago. it was my first car and had been in my dads back yard for a long time. I brought it out to LA a while ago but never had the time to do the rockers till now. Yeah plan is to fab and weld in what i can and cover it up with the skirts.

Wish I could weld and had some sheet metal. I'd just make it the best I could, forget inners, just seal it up so it stops rusting and then put the skirts back on.

Since I don't have welding or sheet metal skills or equipment, when i repaired my black car's rocker panels, I used rust converter on as much as possible to preserve whatever I could bond to and then patched things with fiberglass and resin. Got the best results with mat fiberglass and resin gel. I also filled the frame insides with foam to help hold the shape and to keep water from settling in..

Last edited:
Since I don't have welding or sheet metal skills or equipment, when i repaired my black car's rocker panels, I used rust converter on as much as possible to preserve whatever I cold bond to and then patched things with fiberglass and resin. Got the best results with matte and resin gel. I also filled the frame insides with foam to help hold the shape and to keep water from settling in..

I believe Ford tried to fill some models with expanding foam for midwestern climes and it backfired on them because the foam breaks down and holds the water in there creating an anodic/cathodic reaction which promotes oxidazation.

Or so I read somewhere!
:D

thats totally true! my car was filled with that foam and the rust was way worse in those spots than any other.

It was also to give it support. The original expanding foam under the seats and filling other parts seems solid still. Oh well. At least black's in a normally dry no salt on the road climate now. My repair was on the cheap.. since a good repair would be more than I could justify for a driver. :D

Last edited:
One can thank the moron engineer that ran the moonroof rear drain down into that area. Draining excess water from the moonroof area to inside the rockers must have sounded good the next day after drinking to much:rolleyes:

Ken

Ah....then I'd say road salt is surely the culprit, no?

Looks like you're winning now, tho ;) Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Back