Aod to 4r70w swap?

What are you needing to know, the driveshaft you can change the yoke or swap the extension housing, shifter should work with the right brackets, figuring out the controls is the hardest part.
Alan

After that, I just want to build my aod. Any way to econonicly build a aod to hold/run mid 12's? I have a stock trans with a lentech vb and a art Carr with locking 2500 stall and art Carr vb.

Don't know what one to rebuild/build?

With the parts you got, if the vb and torque converter you got a big part. Did the trans trash with the converter in it? If so you would have to get it cut open cleaned and put together. Same with the vb. I would transfer everything needed to get the mechanical diode in. ATSG has a update sheet that points out the parts needed.....I'll have to find that when I get off duty. You can get late model 4r70s all over the place right now pretty cheap used. Scavange what you need. But, if you did that I think you could do pretty much what ever you wanted. Not sure what prices are like over where you are since economy is so stratified, but here in Va. you would be lucky to get that for 1500.00. I do driveability, general repair, trans r and r, and I work with a trans builder thats how I can guess.

With the parts you got, if the vb and torque converter you got a big part. Did the trans trash with the converter in it? If so you would have to get it cut open cleaned and put together. Same with the vb. I would transfer everything needed to get the mechanical diode in. ATSG has a update sheet that points out the parts needed.....I'll have to find that when I get off duty. You can get late model 4r70s all over the place right now pretty cheap used. Scavange what you need. But, if you did that I think you could do pretty much what ever you wanted. Not sure what prices are like over where you are since economy is so stratified, but here in Va. you would be lucky to get that for 1500.00. I do driveability, general repair, trans r and r, and I work with a trans builder thats how I can guess.

Oil is still red, trans lasted about 10 miles and the clutches are slipping. Economy here is great.

How are you going to control it? The cheapest way would be to completely rewire the car to later model stuff to use a late model pcm such as the mach1 processor, by far not the easiest but I have to say if I were going to do it for myself this would be the way, if I were doing it for someone else I'd just buy an aftermarket controller.
Alan

How are you going to control it? The cheapest way would be to completely rewire the car to later model stuff to use a late model pcm such as the mach1 processor, by far not the easiest but I have to say if I were going to do it for myself this would be the way, if I were doing it for someone else I'd just buy an aftermarket controller.
Alan

I think I'll stick with the aod. What I was meaning by the $500 is could I build one of my AOD's to hold me into the mid 12's for $500?

If you have the valvebody and hard parts required already and the servo of course I would say it can be done.
Alan

If you have the valvebody and hard parts required already and the servo of course I would say it can be done.
Alan

You think the stock converter and lentech vb in the stock tranny would be the way to go? Or the 2500 converter and art carr vb would be the platform to build on?

Lentech is the way to go in my opinion. That stall is fairly low, and if its a aftermarket converter, its probly got better than stock stuff in it. I would use the converter, sounds like it would work good with a 3.8. Thought you meant having someone build it for you. You could definetly do it your self for that much. Have you done work like this before? If you have, youd know the biggest amount of time is spent cleaning. Thats where most of the labor is, and if you want it to live you will need to be maticulous. I hate cleaning parts myself. But, if you want to go fast....right? Just because the fluid is red doesnt mean you dont clean. Especially if stuff got in the vb. You will need to take the vb apart and clean that as well. A good start is to get the ATSG AOD build book and the supplement. It shows you a step by step build of the unit. Also, the supplement shows some updates and tricks you can do like what you need to swap in the 4r70w(waaaayyy lighter) forward drum, and mechanical diode. I bought the books for like 20.00 a piece.

Another thing, you have a pump puller? Get that thing out and see if the pump is wiped.... Also, you sure TV was set right? Other than heat, thats what kills most early trans. Only other thing it could have been was loose vb bolts. You have to find what killed it.

Last edited:
Dont know if you have been here yet, but:

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm

I start there to give me some ideas. You can definetly get better prices elsewhere. But, if you do buy from them, they are pretty cool to deal with.

I also go here:

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/AOD.html

You can see that the prices for their paper and rubber kit is way cheaper. I havent had a problem with these guys either.

Paper and rubber kit should be the biggest cost. Most times you dont need to replace the clutches, or only a certain gear or over run what ever. The stock clutches are good for a decent hp number. As far as that goes, I would find a junkyard 4r70w and get as many parts that cross(maybe clutches too??) over. I bought a 2000 4r70w with a cracked case(from wreck) for 75.00 a year ago and built a stout 93 4r70w out of it. I pretty much only needed a paper and rubber and shift kit for that one.

Man...almost forgot. Big deal with these early hydraulic shift trans is bushings. They tend to get slammed around more than the electronic shift trans. You will most definetly need bushings and a way to get them out and in.

Also, special tools you will need of the top of my head:
pump puller
straight and angle medium and small snap ring pliers.
drum piston spring compressor. Yes you need to replace the piston orings too. There is a cheap kick off spring compressor you can get for around 100.00, but you need something like a bearing race to back it up or you will bend the spring retainer.

Can you do it for $500 doubt it like Alan said, VB and TC alone will eat most of that. Then IMO need the AODE drums and 2"OD band and mechanical diode plus misc. stuff expect $1000 if you do the work yourself ~$2k if you have someone else do it.

He said he already had those two parts, at least I think he did. But, yes you could. Is he willing to do all the cleaning? Dont know. But, if you knew right what you were doing, you could. He has a decent converter, if its not crapped up, and valve body. Ive gotten paper and rubber kit for 4r70w under 90.00. Clutches arent always necessary unless you scorch a set in a gear, or over run. You could do it if you had the tools for closer to 600.00, and thats bushings included. If you had the tools.

I buy up junk yard transmissions cheap, and save the good parts I get out of them. Most people think a lot of parts are replaced in auto trans on every rebuild and it isnt true. If it was none of us could afford a rebuild! Most of it is labor.

He said he already had those two parts, at least I think he did. But, yes you could. Is he willing to do all the cleaning? Dont know. But, if you knew right what you were doing, you could. He has a decent converter, if its not crapped up, and valve body. Ive gotten paper and rubber kit for 4r70w under 90.00. Clutches arent always necessary unless you scorch a set in a gear, or over run. You could do it if you had the tools for closer to 600.00, and thats bushings included. If you had the tools.

I buy up junk yard transmissions cheap, and save the good parts I get out of them. Most people think a lot of parts are replaced in auto trans on every rebuild and it isnt true. If it was none of us could afford a rebuild! Most of it is labor.

Is the spring compressor you were talking about like a valve spring compressor?

I have 2 vb to choose from, how can I tell if the converter is crapped up?

Back