PDA

View Full Version : Spirit of the Shootout

SCrazy
10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
Every year people are worried about breaking down at the shootout.

This year I broke an axle at the starting line and had the car pushed back onto the side of the stagging lanes.

I walked back to my truck to get some tools and by the time I got back to the car it was already 50% apart with about 6 people helping to get it fixed, 30 minutes later I was back up and running.

I know Alan Stewart has a similar story!!!

Huge thanks to everyone who helped me out. Rich, Scott, Kurt, Scott's Friend, Philip and Matt Haub who gave me his spare axle.

David Neibert
10-14-2013, 03:27 PM
My car was in the same spot as Brian's (literally) because of an electrical problem (turned out to be a bad battery). Rich brought out a battery charger and a few tools and shortly after that Scott Long's buddy offered to let me borrow the battery out of his truck. Because of the help I got from these guys I was finally able to make a complete pass and take home a trophy and a plaque for Low ET of the Shootout.

David

BLOWN38
10-14-2013, 03:42 PM
My car was in the same spot as Brian's (literally) because of an electrical problem (turned out to be a bad battery). Rich brought out a battery charger and a few tools and shortly after that Scott Long's buddy offered to let me borrow the battery out of his truck. Because of the help I got from these guys I was finally able to make a complete pass and take home a trophy and a plaque for Low ET of the Shootout.

David

That pains me to see them pushing on the bumper cover like that.:(

David Neibert
10-14-2013, 03:45 PM

The hood was burning their hands, so I guess that was the next best place. Paint is already shot on the bumper cover anyway, so they couldn't really hurt it.

David

DrFishbone
10-14-2013, 04:41 PM
Glad to help Brian! :)

I worry very little about breaking down and making it home, being I drive my car there. Great group of guys (and gals)!! :cool:

nickleman60
10-14-2013, 05:10 PM

:D...........with black Betty's bumper you'd be in a world of hurt.............:eek:

ricardoa1
10-14-2013, 06:40 PM
Damn i missed out on all these team repairs, should have stuck around and got the gang to do my 2nd gear blocker.

BLOWN38
10-14-2013, 06:55 PM
:D...........with black Betty's bumper you'd be in a world of hurt.............:eek:

Yeah it'd prolly fall off.

mywhite89
10-26-2013, 02:57 PM
I had the same thing at the first shootout I raced at. Broke an axle with no extras. Hardly knew anyone that year. Next thing you know I had a new axle from someone who I think turned out to be Ira? Or maybe he stole it out of someone's truck cause he wouldn't take a dime for it. Like 3 other people hunting down the right size socket to remove/ reinstall the big nut, and someone else who introduced me to electric impacts. Hell, I expected to stick it on the trailer and call it a day. 30 minutes later I was back in business for another go.

It's weird my car has much more power since then, I bring extra axles with me every year, Never had to use one though:rolleyes:.

Chris

davec73
10-26-2013, 03:31 PM
The spirit is why I do it! the first year 2012 I brought my car and it wasn't running. We had a Friday night parking lot party trying to get it running. I will be back every year I can to every shootout its just too bad it has taken so long to get my car right for racing.

89XR7TD
10-26-2013, 11:34 PM
That's awesome guys!!!!

Great gang willing to help others out in need:)

KYSal
11-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Yup I'd have to agree, without this bunch of folks I'd been sitting on the sidelines yet again this year. As is it was, there were several hours of tuning knowledged shared, a set of plug wires and some slicks that made my day a go!

Thanks to Ryan Zimmerly, Chris Vining, James "Smitty" Smith and Ken Wagner. I don't know if any other group as giving as this bunch!

:)

Scott Long
11-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Well since we didn't have my car or Jim's ready in time, we were at least able to help you guys out.

We did get Jim's 94 put back together the following weekend. Day late and a dollar short eh?