Hard Cranking..

figulaz

SCCoA Member
So I finally got my engine running...94 stock long block cam etc in my 92 automatic 30lb injectors early blower. the only thing I did was gasket match intake and heads and exhaust manifold outlet. I bolted up all my stock equipment in preparation for smog. The fun stuff is lays in wait until after smog and base tune is purchased. It has a couple symtoms I'll be trouble shooting this weekend. Not sure if these overlap but here goes. Let me know any input. thanks in advance.

1.It takes a bit longer than usual to crank and feels like when timing is way advanced or a high compression engine and the starter struggles. (new battery off my Navigator)

2 .Lastly it's been about a year and half since I drove this and I don't remember a leakdown sound when powering off...I cut off the switch and hear 3 second pssshhhhh. Is that normal or bad news?

Idle is less than perfect but revving sounds great (better than I remember)

1.It takes a bit longer than usual to crank and feels like when timing is way advanced or a high compression engine and the starter struggles. (new battery off my Navigator)

Might just be corrosion on the connectors from battery to starter relay and from relay to starter. I would try cleaning them up really well and see what happens.

Also, just to be sure it's not ignition timing or something like that, I would unplug the coil and crank and see if it changes.

2 .Lastly it's been about a year and half since I drove this and I don't remember a leakdown sound when powering off...I cut off the switch and hear 3 second pssshhhhh. Is that normal or bad news?

Idle is less than perfect but revving sounds great (better than I remember)

I think that's somewhat normal. Probably indicates a small vacuum leak, such as from the blower bypass bearings or throttle shaft bearings. I wouldn't worry too much - although the rough idle might suggest a vacuum leak investigation is a decent idea.

update... 1/4 turn loose terminal on the starter relay. Thanks sir. cranks great. I always think the worse

You're on the money with the bypass throttle area vacuum leak...cigar smoke test confirmed it. Pretty small though...I'll leave we'll enough alone. also slight leak around idle iac or tps ...luckily I have gaskets for that.

Another update ... the starter relay terminal was part of my issue. . But after it would warm up it would shut down.I'd try to restart and it felt like timing was way advanced. I disconnected the cam position sensor as recommended by many threads and it ran ok. Turns out my own stubborness would not allow me to believe I put the cam position sensor off position...long story short take your time and it is ok to second guess yourself....definetly buy the tool... $13 on amazon. I think I set it with the tool the first time at tdc instead of 26 atc.

Back