PDA

View Full Version : Hard Cranking..

figulaz
10-17-2013, 11:06 AM
So I finally got my engine running...94 stock long block cam etc in my 92 automatic 30lb injectors early blower. the only thing I did was gasket match intake and heads and exhaust manifold outlet. I bolted up all my stock equipment in preparation for smog. The fun stuff is lays in wait until after smog and base tune is purchased. It has a couple symtoms I'll be trouble shooting this weekend. Not sure if these overlap but here goes. Let me know any input. thanks in advance.

1.It takes a bit longer than usual to crank and feels like when timing is way advanced or a high compression engine and the starter struggles. (new battery off my Navigator)

2 .Lastly it's been about a year and half since I drove this and I don't remember a leakdown sound when powering off...I cut off the switch and hear 3 second pssshhhhh. Is that normal or bad news?

Idle is less than perfect but revving sounds great (better than I remember)

S_Mazza
10-17-2013, 11:51 AM
1.It takes a bit longer than usual to crank and feels like when timing is way advanced or a high compression engine and the starter struggles. (new battery off my Navigator)

Might just be corrosion on the connectors from battery to starter relay and from relay to starter. I would try cleaning them up really well and see what happens.

Also, just to be sure it's not ignition timing or something like that, I would unplug the coil and crank and see if it changes.

2 .Lastly it's been about a year and half since I drove this and I don't remember a leakdown sound when powering off...I cut off the switch and hear 3 second pssshhhhh. Is that normal or bad news?

Idle is less than perfect but revving sounds great (better than I remember)

I think that's somewhat normal. Probably indicates a small vacuum leak, such as from the blower bypass bearings or throttle shaft bearings. I wouldn't worry too much - although the rough idle might suggest a vacuum leak investigation is a decent idea.

figulaz
10-23-2013, 12:18 PM
update... 1/4 turn loose terminal on the starter relay. Thanks sir. cranks great. I always think the worse

S_Mazza
10-23-2013, 03:04 PM
Great! Glad it worked out.

figulaz
10-24-2013, 12:18 AM
You're on the money with the bypass throttle area vacuum leak...cigar smoke test confirmed it. Pretty small though...I'll leave we'll enough alone. also slight leak around idle iac or tps ...luckily I have gaskets for that.

figulaz
10-30-2013, 06:24 PM
Another update ... the starter relay terminal was part of my issue. . But after it would warm up it would shut down.I'd try to restart and it felt like timing was way advanced. I disconnected the cam position sensor as recommended by many threads and it ran ok. Turns out my own stubborness would not allow me to believe I put the cam position sensor off position...long story short take your time and it is ok to second guess yourself....definetly buy the tool... $13 on amazon. I think I set it with the tool the first time at tdc instead of 26 atc.