how do i fix pin hole in rear metal brake line

ghostryder

I was bleeding my brakes and discovered a pin hole in the rear brake line on drivers side in front of wheel.
can I cut that section out and put in a new section or would it be easier to replace the entire line? does anyone know the size of the lines on the 1990 SC
Al.

Yes, you can... Cut out the bad part, deburr the edges, then slide on appropriate tube nuts. Then use a double or ISO flaring tool to flare the ends of each good part. Use two couplers to join the good remnants to the new piece of brake line (which you can buy pre-flared with tube nuts in standard lengths). Tighten it all up, and it should be fine.

The line size should be 3/16". The exact flare nut used differs from part to part and from year to year. But if you are putting a new piece of line in, you can pick which flare nut you want.

You could also replace it ... Might actually be less work, though you would need to check and see how much needs to be removed from the car to get that line actually OUT of the car!

Before i would go to the trouble of splicing in a peice of line check the rest of the lines. chances are the rest may be ready to pop. just sayin better safe than sorry.

The brake quip alloy line is expensive but very easy to work with, for someone without a ton of experience it is perfect, if you give me the overall measurements and fitting sizes/type I can flare the ends and send you the piece. You literally need no tools to bend that line it's really good to work with.
Alan

Back