can u drive w only the bypass?

dthompson

Need a plan to get my car to the shop to have custom fmic pipes welded up. I wanted to prep as much as I could before going over there. I was going to install a modified return plenum (flange studs machined off for use with a silicone coupling) before going to the shop. I also wanted to remove the lower ic tube because it looks like a pain. I really want the shop just to fit the pipes and not have to do any disassembly. Anyways u was wondering if I could remove all the original ic stuff and cap off the return plenum, cap off the sc top, remove the blower belt and just let the engine run drawing air through the bypass. Id have to rig a way to always keep the bypass open, but that seems doable.

anyone else done something like this before? Im open to suggestions.

Should be able to. Also cut off the tower that comes up next to the alternator before you take it to them. I would just stay off the highway.

Yup, you could do that as long as you get it to seal. I have driven my car home without a blower belt more than once. 80mph down the highway. Just doesnt get there very fast with the small amount of air that can get in. Are you going with a magnum powers front mount intercooler? If so, it comes with an adapter to the return plenum. Get a sheet of 1/4 inch thick rubber and just pinch it between the two pieces. Should seal right up.

Chris

I got one of the cxracing 12x24x4 ic's. I only have to go about 10 miles. Should be able to keep it under 45 mph.

Thanks for the help and suggestions on cutting that mount off on the acc bracket. unfortunately in my process of disassembling, i noticed a coolant leak. looks like its coming from the bottom/front of the lower intake manifold. Im guessing its leaking at the head and running down the seam. seems like this car likes to be apart more than it likes to be together! one of the bolts near the coolant temp sending unit was pretty loose, hopefully that is all it was... going to pressure test the cooling system soon as I can borrow a tester. I was surprised that the torque spec was only 11 ftlbs for those bolts, seems low to me.

Back