Engine Knocking Help

BadBird90

Hi, this started about 3 months before i got the head gaskets replaced, now that they are replaced i still hear the knock, especially in the cold when i start the car. i want to get this taken care of asap! i have a 90 sc that just turned over 87,000 miles. what is this knocking, and will it hurt the engine if i drive it the way it is. i have never EVER used any octane less than 93, and i have been even using 94 in it every once in a while. Help please i dont know how much longer i can go with the engine sounding like a dump truck!!!!!feel free to instant message me when i am online (ThunderSC300) is my S/N. thanks, brian

hey i have been trying to crack this for a while and i wanted to ask about a couple conclusion i have come to. First of all the oil gauge has gone down a little since the last oil chage, it is on the O in norm, and i always check my oil and it is dead level with no leaks, so i am thinking my oil pump is bad, and it is hard to circulate the oil when cold. Second of all, i was inspecting my Coil pack, checked all 6 wires! 5 of the slots where the plugs go had a white powder all around it, but one of the slots looked like new, so that leads me to the conclusion that my engine is running on 5 cylinders! It had new plugs and wires put in when the head gaskets were replaced, which was about 2 months ago. And i used motorcraft wires, and autolite double platnum plugs! thanks for and suggestions and comments. HELP ME!!!

The oil pressure guage is not reliable for actual pressures. Its basically no better than an idiot light. So unless its on 0, don't be concerned with where it is in the scale. If your oil level is good, chances are the oil pressure is OK also. A multiweight oil such as 10/30 or 5/30 should not be a problem for the engine as they are made to not thicken up in cold weather.

As far as the coil pack. Get some dielectric grease (Autozone has them in those little packets) and put some on the metal part which pushes down into the well. Crawl under the car and check to see that #5 is fully snapped onto the spark plug. It may not be seated fully. I've found it easier to access the plugs and see what I'm doing with the wheel off and the car jacked up.

You should also check to see that each plug has the dielectric grease on them also. It serves 2 very important functions: it helps keep the rubber boot from welding itself to the spark plug, and it improves the electrical contact between the clip and the plug tip.

Finally, if this doesn't fix much, you need to pull codes. Could be your knock sensor is hosed (or maybe someone forgot to plug it in again?).. Oh... and when they replaced the HGs, did they also install new O2 sensors?
Hope this helps.

Thanks tbirdfan,
First to answer you question about the o2 sensors. About 2 months before the hg's were replaced, the 02 sensors were replaced, so i didnt replace them b/c i didnt think they were bad, plus i dont have any warning light on in the dash so i figured that they were ok, but listen to this i did what you said today, i checked, all the wired to make sure they were snug on the plugs which they were, plus i went and bought some of that dielectric stuff and used that all around in the coil pack which i must say did make a difference but the engine still knocked, soo i was looking around under the car and i think i spotted the problem. THE MOTOR MOUNTS were in pieces! and i figured that if the engine is moving up and down that is causing interference with the knock sensor. well what do ya think, and how much does it cost to replace the mounts? thanks again

Back