Anybody ever dissect their Ignition wire harness?

figulaz

SCCoA Member
I was looking over my wiring and pulled out the whole ignition harness after I saw bare and oxidized wire for the single wire that goes to the crank position sensor harness. After removing the mummified wire loom and tape I traced the bare wire (wrapped in aluminum foil) to the single wire for the ignition EEC connector. The balance of the wire was taped along other branches of the harness going nowhere. Can I just connect the EEC connector direct with new connectors and wires? Is there anything special about this wire? diode maybe. It just looked like shoddy wiring...bare wire? Aluminum foil?? But the tape looked factory...I could be wrong. (I separated it from the rest of the harness)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 146
If you're talking about the foil wrapped/shielded EEC ground wire for the crank position sensor, those exist so that they won't cause EMI in other wires nearby, I believe - it's important that the EEC have clean signals to depend on. Mine was like yours when I got my car & I ended up replacing the harness…I've been collecting spares, just in case.

You can try making up a replacement (does your car run ok now? What year is it? ) but unless you are confident you can replace it with wiring that will perform the same, I think to that you may be better off finding another, serviceable, harness instead.

Last edited:
prior to the blown headgasket my father in law complained about intermittent cut off at stop lights. I have everything bolted back up. It cut off on me randomly a couple times after a few minutes idling in my drive way. I'm still chasing vaccumm leaks but I saw this and figured it can't be good. I guess I'll throw some regular aluminum foil in there...re- wire loom, re-terminate and tape up. Thank you KMT. That's why I love this forum! Hopefully I'm not in the market for a replacement harness. I'll keep you posted.

I have cleaned mine and wrapped it with aluminum heat shield tape that I got at O'Reilly Auto parts. I also used new plastic tubing. Then rewrapped with electrical tape.

I have cleaned mine and wrapped it with aluminum heat shield tape that I got at O'Reilly Auto parts. I also used new plastic tubing. Then rewrapped with electrical tape.

That's a good idea. I looked up emi and it looks like regular aluminum foil won't do it well. I'm going to try the stuff on amazon for electric guitars. Truth be told I used some wire loom and tape drove it around the block a few times (not currently registered) and it was fine..I think emi hits a frequncy that'll make the signal funky. I don't want to find out what that is so i'll be fixing that properly.

Back