90 SC stalling

My SC hates me

I have a 90 SC 5 speed pretty much all stock, it keeps stalling under engine load. With the clutch down it revs fine but as soon as you let the clutch all the way up it falls on its face, the higher the gear the worse it gets. Also its way worse when it's raining/snowing. It jerks the whole car when trying to give it gas. Unplugged the maf and it runs a little better until the engine warms up.

Last edited:
No codes lol. When it acts like this the cel comes on for about a second then disappears, doesnt store any codes. Could it possibly be old plug wires and when its wet out the spark isnt going to the plugs?

Easy way to see.

Take a spritz bottle, fill it with (preferably distilled!) water, and wait for a dark night.

Pull the underhood lamp.

Start the car up, and spritz the wires.

If you end up with a laser light show, the wires are past gone :D:D

RwP

No codes lol. When it acts like this the cel comes on for about a second then disappears, doesnt store any codes. Could it possibly be old plug wires and when its wet out the spark isnt going to the plugs?
Could very well be. As old-school Ralph suggests, try the spritzing thing.. or if you've never replaced wires and plugs.. assume its due. Note however... bad plugs or wires will not throw a code and hence.. they will not light the CEL.

I have a 90 SC 5 speed pretty much all stock, it keeps stalling under engine load. With the clutch down it revs fine but as soon as you let the clutch all the way up it falls on its face, the higher the gear the worse it gets. Also its way worse when it's raining/snowing. It jerks the whole car when trying to give it gas. Unplugged the maf and it runs a little better until the engine warms up.

Probably the plugs are worn out. Could also be a failing ignition module.

Your SC doesn't hate you. How much attention have you given it? Maybe it's lonely. :rolleyes:

Sorry for the really late reply lol. New plugs and wires installed. Also threw in a new map sensor and now it wont idle unless you hold it at about 2500 rpm for a minute or so. Havent went out and drove it yet because of the snow. :confused:

Does the car have a tune on it? Every time I have had this problem it has been caused by a bad file. If no I would look for a grounding issue.

Any time you do any work and problems arise its almost always some kind of vacuum leak. Dealt with similar lousy idle this afternoon on my 5spd after I did some work. Turned out to be a loose collar to the intercooler. Vacuum leaks are tough to detect on these cars. I sprayed the usual areas with carb clnr and no change....I tighted the loose connection and bingo. You can try blowing cigar smoke into a vac line to detect the leak just make sure to seal the throttle body off with like a latex glove or something and get ready to feel light headed. Good luck

when i think of no power under load i think fuel pump or filter or pressure regulator or spun harmonic balancer or misfire plug or wire

when i think of no power under load i think fuel pump or filter or pressure regulator or spun harmonic balancer or misfire plug or wire

Doesn't hurt to check fuel rail.

With new plugs and wires installed I would swap out the coil.

Mine ran hard too 3-5 lbs then collapsed. 2 used coils later it runs like a champ.

Paul

idles fine after its running so i think if it had a vacuum leak wouldnt idle bad all the time? Car has no tune on it. Ignition module and coil are both new. Fuel pressure is good. Bad ground could be possible tho... but where do i start haha?

Back