Needing a place to stay in Georgia

kenewagner

My son will be finishing up Army boot camp the 5th and 6th of December. I am flying down to Fort Benning just outside Columbus Georgia. I would love to find a fellow Thunderbird enthusist, in that area that could put me up for 2 to 3 nights. It would save me a bunch on Hotel expenses

Ken

If your driving, your welcome to stay at my place, if you will be passing though Effingham, IL. on your way to see your son.I have a couch you can sleep on. Randy Baker

If your driving, your welcome to stay at my place, if you will be passing though Effingham, IL. on your way to see your son.I have a couch you can sleep on. Randy Baker

Gonna fly but thanks for the offer, much appriciated. I might have a chance of on base housing but that is slim

Ken

Ken,

I went to a basic training graduation several years ago, and we stayed in a cabin there on Ft. Benning. It was close to the graduation area as I recall. The only thing is, I thing the service member had to be the one to reserve it.

Just a thought.

BTW I take it your son is going Infantry, since his basic is at Benning??

Smitty

Ken,

I went to a basic training graduation several years ago, and we stayed in a cabin there on Ft. Benning. It was close to the graduation area as I recall. The only thing is, I thing the service member had to be the one to reserve it.

Just a thought.

BTW I take it your son is going Infantry, since his basic is at Benning??

Smitty

Yes he is going into the infantry. I read about the cabins as well. There is on base lodging. I called the other day and you have to wait for 1 month prior before making a reservation. Nov 4 will be one month before so I will try that first. Then maybe the cabins I have had no members in my family in the military so this is a first and am very proud but worried at the same time

Ken

Yes he is going into the infantry. I read about the cabins as well. There is on base lodging. I called the other day and you have to wait for 1 month prior before making a reservation. Nov 4 will be one month before so I will try that first. Then maybe the cabins I have had no members in my family in the military so this is a first and am very proud but worried at the same time

Ken

You should be proud. It is not an easy decision to serve your country. The pay is not great, duty can be dangerous..........depending, being away from family is sometimes new and difficult, but most adapt just fine. the friends you meet will last a lifetime! It is a big step in becoming an adult very fast.

If you ever have any questions just let me know....21 year Army retiree. Would be glad to help.

Smitty

You should be proud. It is not an easy decision to serve your country. The pay is not great, duty can be dangerous..........depending, being away from family is sometimes new and difficult, but most adapt just fine. the friends you meet will last a lifetime! It is a big step in becoming an adult very fast.

If you ever have any questions just let me know....21 year Army retiree. Would be glad to help.

Smitty

It is family weekend, his mom is going down. I didnt have the freedom to go. He called just a bit ago. He is having difficulty with a hip problem. It is possible he will have to redo the blue phase if he has problems with the running and marching. He said he will be stationed in NY when done with basic.

Ken

Ken, I know what you are feeling on the proud but worried. My son just left for basic at Fort Benning on Tuesday.

Rodney

Hey Ken,

Too bad it is not in California or you could stay over at my house. Well best of luck, I am sure someone from GA will see your post soon.

Thanks all. It looks like he might not gradulate in December with his group. He might have a bone fracture which means he would be recycled to finish his last phase of training once able to. So flying down there is on hold.

Ken

Damn Ken sorry to here that. Staying at a basic training camp for any time longer than normal is no fun what-so-ever.

It sounds like he will be assigned to the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, NY.

I hope he likes cold weather, cause man it gets frigid in that part of NY. He will be about 20 miles from the Canadian Border.

In January a few years ago, it was -26 F for a week straight, and that was the hi temp!!

Best of luck to him.

Back